Adding Balena-OS support for revpi-connect-4

Topics about the Software of Revolution Pi
nicolaiB
KUNBUS
Answers: 8

Re: Adding Balena-OS support for revpi-connect-4

Post by nicolaiB »

Is the kernel driver module loaded (lsmod)?
wickywaka33
Answers: 0

Post by wickywaka33 »

RevPaul wrote: 11 Jan 2024, 09:59 Hi wickywaka33
We tested the new image from you and followed all steps. We are able to see the controller in balena but still get the same error like with the connect-s image on the CM4 controller. Somehow /dev/piControl0 is missing. Any suggestions from you or the Kunbus team?

Here is the original topic that started it all:
viewtopic.php?p=14728&hilit=cm4#p14728
I think the support for revpi-connect-4 in the balean OS is missing some device tree related stuff. I am also not able to use the modbus RTU serial port of the device and its not available just like Picontrol device. I am currently out of ideas as to what can be the reason. You can see some of my failed attempts here: https://github.com/balena-os/balena-ras ... /pull/1086
RevPaul

Post by RevPaul »

Hi wickywaka33 and Kunbus team
Is there any progress with this issue? Is Kunbus working together with balena on this issue yet or is still hardware missing?
Thanks for a short update
nicolaiB
KUNBUS
Answers: 8

Post by nicolaiB »

Hi RevPaul,

the Balena devs have received the hardware and are working on this. I expect the support to be ready by end of q1 or earlier and will keep you updated.

Nicolai
fdimmel

Post by fdimmel »

Hi, sorry to hijack this thread, but, does that mean, we might see the RevPi Connect 4 als selectable device within the next few weeks in balena cloud dashboard with full functionality?
That would be awesome,
thanks for confirming,
Fritz
nicolaiB wrote: Hi RevPaul,

the Balena devs have received the hardware and are working on this. I expect the support to be ready by end of q1 or earlier and will keep you updated.

Nicolai
iotfleet

Post by iotfleet »

Hi,
Any updates on this topic? We start to scale our RevPi Connect 4 Fleet and are now looking into onboarding the fleet to balena Cloud
kenna_balena
Official 3rd Party Support

Post by kenna_balena »

Hi all,

I'm a product manager at balena and just wanted to post an update:

The device bring-up has been fully completed.
The device is passing all tests required by our hardware-in-the-loop testing rig.
We have one more PR that requires merging before we can get the device published to the dashboard.
The devices team and I are watching it closely so that any problems are addressed asap.

I hesitate to speculate at timing, since this was meant to be a relatively easy bring up that has somehow taken since October... but, knock on wood, we should be talking days or a week away, not months. :fingers-crossed:
iotfleet

Post by iotfleet »

kenna_balena wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 04:56 Hi all,

I'm a product manager at balena and just wanted to post an update:

The device bring-up has been fully completed.
The device is passing all tests required by our hardware-in-the-loop testing rig.
We have one more PR that requires merging before we can get the device published to the dashboard.
The devices team and I are watching it closely so that any problems are addressed asap.

I hesitate to speculate at timing, since this was meant to be a relatively easy bring up that has somehow taken since October... but, knock on wood, we should be talking days or a week away, not months. :fingers-crossed:
Nice to hear :)! Thanks for the feedback loop.
kenna_balena
Official 3rd Party Support

Post by kenna_balena »

A quick update from balena:

Good news: the device is passing all our tests and is ready to be added to the Dashboard

Bad news: the device was damaged in the testing, so now that it’s ready to be added, it no longer works and Nicolai is having to send over new hardware for those final tests to pass in our CI/CD system to get it to production

I’ve never had so many logistical issues crop up during a device support project...

I’ll update this thread as soon as the new hardware has arrived.
vokezpatt

Post by vokezpatt »

Good news, hooray it is working and compiling ...