Adding Balena-OS support for revpi-connect-4

Topics about the Software of Revolution Pi
wickywaka33
Answers: 0

Re: Adding Balena-OS support for revpi-connect-4

Post by wickywaka33 »

Once the image is compiled then the configuration needs to be added so that the device shows up in your balena fleet. For this do the following procedure.

1. Download the configuration file from the fleet where the device should be added to.
2. Mount the balenaOS image. I use this command: gnome-disk-image-mounter -w balena-os-image.img
3. Replace the config.json file with the downloaded one. (this should be in the boot resin-boot partition)
4. Modify the slug entry in device-type.json from revpi-connect-4 to revpi-connect-s (since balenaCloud does not
have a concept of revpi-connect-4 yet).
5. Unmount all the paritions so that these changes takes effect. You can do this from the ubuntu UI.
6. Flash the image and wait for the device to appear in your fleet.
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Post by dirk »

Hi, this is great support because that would be the next stones on the path for me.
It is yet compiling and tomorrow I'll have a day off so I'll come back on this the next week.
wickywaka33

Post by wickywaka33 »

Any progress?

May be we can get on a teams call and try to make it done faster.
wickywaka33

Post by wickywaka33 »

I am trying to load the device tree overlay at runtime on BalenaOS. Below is the procedure:

1. Locate the revpi-connect4.dtbo in /resin-boot/overlays.
2. Make a directory in the /sys/kernel/config/device-tree/overlays/, name does not matter but here we will call it revpi-connect4
3. You will see files dtbo, path, status in the newly created directory
4. cat your device tree overlay .dtbo file to to the dtbo file to the /sys/kernel/config/device-tree/overlays/revpi-connect4/dtbo as show below:

Code: Select all

$ cat /resin-boot/overlays/revpi-connect4.dtbo >/sys/kernel/config/device-tree/overlays/revpi-connect4/dtbo
After following this procedure, I see following error dmesg:

Code: Select all

[11064.447533] OF: resolver: no symbols in root of device tree.
[11064.447552] OF: resolver: overlay phandle fixup failed: -22
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Post by dirk »

Hi wickywaka33, the thing is that we are waiting for the official release and I am kindly posting the activity here. Thank you for your support.
RevPaul

Post by RevPaul »

Hi Dirk and wickywaka33
I‘m the one that started all the balena support for the RevPi in the first place. We are following the development and are looking forward to the running image.
We would like to test the image now with our code together with the DIO and AIO Module. Sadly our knowledge with Yocto is not enough and we are not able to create the image out of the components from github.
Could you provide us with the image, so we can follow your steps to add it to our balena?
This way we can test that everything works for us, before the official image is released.

Thanks
wickywaka33

Post by wickywaka33 »

After creating the image, you will need to copy the config.json from your fleet and the name has to be changed to revpi-connect-s in the device_type.json.
I can provide you an image tomorrow.
RevPaul

Post by RevPaul »

Great. Thank you! Looking forward to the image.
wickywaka33

Post by wickywaka33 »

RevPaul wrote: 07 Jan 2024, 17:10 Great. Thank you! Looking forward to the image.
Please check your inbox for the link to the BalenaOS image.
RevPaul

Post by RevPaul »

Hi wickywaka33
We tested the new image from you and followed all steps. We are able to see the controller in balena but still get the same error like with the connect-s image on the CM4 controller. Somehow /dev/piControl0 is missing. Any suggestions from you or the Kunbus team?

Here is the original topic that started it all:
viewtopic.php?p=14728&hilit=cm4#p14728
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-11 um 09.46.52.png