Serial console to see u-boot logs etc

Topics about the Software of Revolution Pi
wickywaka33
Answers: 0

Serial console to see u-boot logs etc

Post by wickywaka33 »

Hello everyone,
We are trying to add the revpi-connect-4 to the BalenaOS project. During development sometimes its easier to see the boot logs and know what is wrong so do you guys know of way to see logs from these devices?
Are there some uart pins that can let us see these logs?

Waqar Rashid

Edit-0: I will keep updating this post for those of you who come here looking for a solution

Edit-1: It looks like BalenaOS does drop into a tty login prompt when the hdmi is connected. For production images it shows a splash screen and we can get a tty login prompt by pressing some keyboard shortcuts. But this is probably after the linux kernel have booted.
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Re: Serial console to see u-boot logs etc

Post by dirk »

Hi, have a look at this interesting tutorial about using RS485 interface for debug output during boot - it is initially for the RevPi Flat module but should also work with an external USB-RS485 adapter on your device
https://revolutionpi.com/tutorials/over ... utzen-flat
nicolaiB
KUNBUS
Answers: 8

Re: Serial console to see u-boot logs etc

Post by nicolaiB »

Hi Waqar,

Good news for you (and others): I just spoke last week with Kenna from Balena and we will work with join forces on official Balena support for all RevPi devices. The first device we will work is the Connect 4. I will keep you update on the process, if you'd like.

Nicolai