SSH Default Password doesn't work but Web UI Default Password works fine.

Topics about the Software of Revolution Pi
gabrielf
Answers: 0

SSH Default Password doesn't work but Web UI Default Password works fine.

Post by gabrielf »

I'm having issues connecting to the shell of my RevPi Connect S. In the Web UI, the default login works fine, but when connecting via SSH, I keep on getting 'Permission denied, please try again' despite it being the same password as the admin user in the Web UI.

Also my RevPi Connect S keeps on turning off and on again and again. I couldn't tell whether it is the issue of the power supply, or the RevPi Unit itself.
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Re: SSH Default Password doesn't work but Web UI Default Password works fine.

Post by dirk »

Maybe you tried to log in with the user admin via SSH? Try it with the user "pi".
If you restart the device automatically, it may be because the jumper for the Watch Dogs shutdown is missing from the X4 connector.
You can easily create a jumper between the WD PIN and GND PIN with a piece of cable yourself.
gabrielf
Answers: 0

Post by gabrielf »

I see. I think I read about watchdog being able to restart the device every so often, which resolved my RevPi restarting issue.

For the SSH, I think I have to apologise as I feel like the RevPi has already been reconfigured when I first tried out the device, as the password was different from the sticker. The user I was logging into was indeed `pi`, as that was mentioned in the sticker.

What I did was I just changed the password according to this post https://web.archive.org/web/20160313200 ... esetpasswd and this post https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q ... y-password

The recap of the steps I did for resetting the password are as follows:
  • Use rpiboot to mount the RevPi and changed edited `cmdline.txt` to append `init=/bin/sh` at the end of the file.
  • Power off the device and plug in a keyboard and monitor and typed the commands below:

Code: Select all

mount -o remount,rw /dev/mmcblk0p2 /
    passwd pi
    (enter a new password)
    sync
    exec /sbin/init

• Once you changed the password, turn off the device and mount it back to your computer with rpiboot to revert the changes made in `cmdline.txt`.
I had to do the steps blindly though, as I didn't have access to a micro-HDMI cable to see the output, and miraculously, it worked.

Thank you for your help and assistance, and I do apologise again in advance if I may have wasted your time.
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Post by dirk »

Hi gabrielf, thank you for your positive message and the time is not wasted when at the end we can arrange somehow a way to fix broken things.