Spammers galore

Topics about the Software of Revolution Pi
kjkoster
Answers: 2

Spammers galore

Post by kjkoster »

Dear Kunbus,

I follow this forum via the RSS feed and see that a lot of spammers get through. Lately, their messages have become more and more seemingly on topic (but really not). Their posts used to be taken down, but now they stay up. Examples are Wepid1961, willie34, josiahwarren and victorpatrick. I am sure there are more. Their spam stays up and your forum gets ranked lower because of it.

An an ex-forum hoster myself I know how hard and frustrating it is to fight spammers. If you would like some help I am happy to share my experience (and possibly some code).

Kees Jan
nicolaiB
KUNBUS
Answers: 8

Re: Spammers galore

Post by nicolaiB »

Hi Kees Jan,

The posts you're seeing is just the tip of the ice berg. Must of the most are posts are already filtered put by the fact that the posters needs to get approved on their first posts. Unfortunately sometimes something slips through.

I would be glad to hear about your experience and ideas. My dm is open!

Nicolai
kjkoster

Post by kjkoster »

Dear Nicolai,

Message sent.

Everyone else: while we are off-topic: if anyone else is running a forum and needs help with this, feel free to reach out. Always happy to help force a few scammers into honest work.

Kees Jan
kjkoster

Post by kjkoster »

Guys,

I'd like to report memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4943 as spammer. His messages always include a link to an external service unrelated to the topic or even this board.

Kees Jan
pi_admin
Administrator
Answers: 1

Post by pi_admin »

kjkoster wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 08:01 Guys,

I'd like to report memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4943 as spammer. His messages always include a link to an external service unrelated to the topic or even this board.

Kees Jan
Thanks for the tip. :) We have taken care of the situation.
pi_admin
Administrator
Answers: 1

Post by pi_admin »

kjkoster wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 08:01 Guys,

Kees Jan
Thanks for the tip. :) We have taken care of the situation.