Revolution Pi Booting Failure

Topics about the Software of Revolution Pi
creighton
Answers: 0

Revolution Pi Booting Failure

Post by creighton »

Hi,

I am facing some issue in booting the KUNBUS Revolution Pi that we recently purchased.

I have performed the following steps to configure the Rev Pi and the following errors produced accordingly.

1) I have followed this tutorial 01- Creation of Image, https://revolution.kunbus.com/tutorials ... tutorials/. When I was writing the image file to the Boot drive of Rev Pi, it says Error 5: Access is denied.
2) I downloaded the SD formatter and click overwrite format to format the drive, after that the image file can be written to the Boot drive.
3) After that, I started the Rev Pi, from my monitor I saw the program stop booting, program stopped running.
4) Next, I reformat the Rev Pi and decided to follow this tutorial, https://revolution.kunbus.com/tutorials ... ll-jessie/.
5) After that, when I tried to boot up the system, it just displayed a rainbow screen and freezes here.
6) I have included this line of code “boot_delay=1” in my config.txt by using wordpad to access the file, nothing changes.

I hope to get in touch with the support team and the community with regards to the issue I am facing here. Your help is very much appreciated. Thank you.

Best regards,

Creighton
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Re: Revolution Pi Booting Failure

Post by dirk »

Hi Creighton, well I think the problem here is our online documenation. The last step is missing in the tutorial which is after the first login to enter device type, serial number and mac address.
Here you can see what I mean at the end of the page: http://revolution.kunbus.com/tutorials/ ... rect=en_US
creighton

Post by creighton »

Hi Dirk,

Thank you for getting back to me. After writing the stretch image in my RevPi Connect, when I start it, it does not bring me to any login screen, it is black screen that just ran a few program lines and stop there as if it has stopped. May I know how to attach image as a reference to my issue?

How should I proceed from here? Thank you.
Amar
KUNBUS

Post by Amar »

Hi Creighton,
After image write is successful,close rpiboot application and disconnect USB cable.Restart Rev Pi.In monitor you shall get normal Linux kernel boot messages..I assume the few program lines you mentioned were the Linux kernel boot messages.
Once done it will ask for Login/Password.You need to connect the Rev Pi module with a keyboard for that.
Once logged in you will then be asked for entering the serial number and MAC address written on the shipped Rev Pi module.After that restart with sudo reboot for changes to be effective.

Best regards,
Amar Jadhav
KUNBUS
creighton

Post by creighton »

Hi Amar,

As I was done writing the image and started booting the RevPi, the same problem occurred with the last kernel message showing: "[ 1.6152451 ---[ end Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block(179,2) ]----. I have no cables connected to my RevPi except the hdmi cable to my monitor. I cannot seem to troubleshoot this issue. Hope to receive some support from your side. Thank you.

Best regards,
Creighton
Amar
KUNBUS

Post by Amar »

Hi Creighton,
I tried to produce the same phenomenon occuring at your side.

I have RePiconnect and stretch image from following link:
https://revolution.kunbus.de/shop/de/stretch

For me it works and the kernel is booted.I am using Win32DiskImager to write the image.

Are you using SD Formatter?Try with Win32DiskImager.If it still dosent work then please please read and save your written image with
Win32DiskImager.You could then compress it and send me the image download link through some file sharing provider.

Best regards,
Amar Jadhav
KUNBUS
creighton

Post by creighton »

Hi Amar,

Thank you for your time and suggested solutions. By the way, I have repeated the whole process again by writing the stretch image to the RevPi by using Win32DiskImager. Before I did that, I only used the SD Card Formatter to overwrite format my RevPi so that I can write the image to it.
After successfully writing the image to the RevPi, safely disconnected the USB cable and rebooted the RevPi, the last kernel message showing: "[ 2.23516301] [8010e174] (secondary_start_kernel) from [<001015cc>] (0x1015cc)" and stopped here. It seems like the issue still persists. I have attached a download link below of the compressed image file by using Win32DiskImager for your reference. Kindly provide the solutions necessary to resolve this issue. Thank you.

Best regards,
Creighton

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1m8bqD ... 6VSIW1U8Ja
dirk
KUNBUS

Post by dirk »

Dear Creighton, this seems serious. I'll send you a RMA form via E-Mail.
y.micro.iot

Post by y.micro.iot »

Hi all,

my 2 cent about flashing and booting Revpi:
  • always unmount disks mounted after running rpiboot and connecting to revpi. Leaving them mounted causes random disk errors after writing MMC
  • use dd oflag=sync while writing image
  • run sync command (paranoid)
  • unmount disks mounted after flashing (paranoid)
  • for booting properly - always REMOVE microusb cable. Boot Mode is activated by +5V coming form host, but having an antenna instead of hard +5V partially
    activates boot mode causing random boot errors (random kernel panic while USB init etc.)

Did cost me 2 days finding this out...