Problems with how to connect RevPi to relay and actuators

Topics about the Hardware of Revolution Pi
klatremuza
Answers: 0

Problems with how to connect RevPi to relay and actuators

Post by klatremuza »

Hi there! I am doing a project and I am kind of stuck because of little knowledge of relays and PLC's. I have only done 1 year at the university, but this is a project I continue that originally were meant for people having finished 3 years. I have read books, watched youtube, but I still seem to be misunderstanding something... So also warning you, I am 100% noob.

https://no.rs-online.com/web/p/non-latc ... %3Atrue%7D Jikes superlong link, but here is the relay with it's datasheet.

So I have this 8 pin relay on it's socket. Right now it will get "True/False" from DIO in on A1, and A2 is connected to V- with the power supply. From 14 I have an wire that is connected to the red wire on the actuator, supposed to send the signal and make the actuator move forward when the DIO gives true. From 44 I took a wire and connected it to the black wire from the actuator, but I do not know if this is necessary.

So If it were to be connected like that, it would do nothing, because when the relay switches there is no signal being sent true, am I wrong?
I therefore connected one wire to 11, which came from V+ on the power supply. I am unsure, is it supposed to be the same input here as in A1? Or V+? Or am I doing something really wrong... And from 41 I connected one wire to V- (same place as A2).

So how wrong is what I am doing now? I am gonna use another relay to make the actuator move backwards/inwards, where I just put the wire from 14 and 44 on the opposite wires at the actuators.
The thing is, I tried it once. And the actuator started to move, but it only moved for 1 second and then stopped because the relay switched, and then it moved because it switched again, and then it kept on like that forever until the actuator was fully out and could not move more. It is supposed to get the true once (as it did on test), and then move until it gets false... What have I done wrong, what am I missing and what is it my brain does not seem to understand? Anyone? :)
klatremuza
Answers: 0

Re: Problems with how to connect RevPi to relay and actuators

Post by klatremuza »

I just realized that I may be missing some power supplies! I thought the guys before me had handed me everything, but it seems I only have 2 supplies for the rev pi, and that I need another one for the actuator. So I wont delete this in case I actually have been really wrong about the wiring (i have no doubt about me making mistakes with wires, so please tell me if somethings seems terrifying), and I also am wondering if it for real is the power supply I'm missing that is the problem.

I believe that to now it has taken power from the same power supply as the AIO/DIO, leading the DIO to "loose" signal for a moment while the actuator moves, then getting signal saying "true" again when the actuator stops, and then it went on forever... That way I could also not stop it because the sensors did not get power to work, leading me to not being able to stop the actuator before I dragged out the power... Bad at explaining, hope it is understandable :)
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Re: Problems with how to connect RevPi to relay and actuators

Post by dirk »

Hi klatremuza, could you give me a list of the devices you are using?