DIO module with PNP sensor not giving data

Topics about the Hardware of Revolution Pi
gcoban
Answers: 0

DIO module with PNP sensor not giving data

Post by gcoban »

Hello,

We have a RevPi Connect with a DIO module (version 1.4) and a PNP sensor connected to the DIO. We have configured the DIO, all green lights and piTest -d says the module is present. See DIO.png

We have tested connecting Output 2 to Input 2, this works and the values match when you do piTest -w O_2,1 and then piTest -r I_2.

The PNP sensor gives 24 volts or 0 volts as a signal. The 24V and 0V of the sensor is connected to the same power supply as the DIO (PWR and X2). The sensor signal is connected to I_1 (brown cable in DIO.png, black cable in Wiring.png)
The first configuration that we tried in Pictory was all the input modes set to Direct. I have then tried to connect the sensor to the first three inputs and all of them (I_1, I_2, I_3) always gave 0, even when the sensor gives 24V.
The second configuration that we tried was the first 2 input modes set to Encoder and the third input mode set to Direct. I have then tried to connect the sensor to the first three inputs and read the Counter_0 and Counter_1 values as well.
Every one of them gave 0, the counters as well. Expect for one input, the I_1 which is now stuck on the value 1 after applying the second configuration. Again, no matter what the sensor does.

We are a bit lost now on why the DIO input value is not changing. It is a simple circuit and we know that the sensor works by using a multimeter. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Gun
Attachments
Wiring.png
Wiring.png (378.07 KiB) Viewed 3375 times
u.biakoup
KUNBUS
Answers: 2

Re: DIO module with PNP sensor not giving data

Post by u.biakoup »

Hello, can you tell us exactly what type of PNP sensor you are using (NC or NO)? We will try to reproduce the error.
gcoban

Post by gcoban »

u.biakoup wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 15:09 Hello, can you tell us exactly what type of PNP sensor you are using (NC or NO)? We will try to reproduce the error.
Hello,

It is an NO sensor.

Best regards,
Gun
u.biakoup
KUNBUS

Post by u.biakoup »

Hello,
the DIO has 2 different 24V supplies on terminal X2, one for the inputs and one for the outputs, but I can't see how they are connected. Can you please post good pictures of your wiring, I can't do anything with the Wago wiring pictures, I would imagine that the 24V supply for the inputs is not connected properly (also the corresponding ground ). I have a PNP sensor, RevPi Connect and DIO and I tested it and it works. I attached a picture of my circuit and then using the command piTest -r I_0_1 to see the value of the sensor.
Attachments
pnp.PNG
pnp.PNG (204.83 KiB) Viewed 3089 times
gcoban

Post by gcoban »

Hello,
Thank you for your reply. Please see below the wiring of the setup.
So an update. Now we have directly connected an output to an input again. The output is giving 11V when we measure it (when we write 1), so should be enough. The input however, is not changing values when we write 1 to the output.
I checked that RevPI Connect + is fully updated, including PICtory.
I am using a ifm sensor - [IIC210][https://www.ifm.com/de/en/product/IIC210]

Thank you for your help.
Regards,
Gun
RevPI_DIO wiring.jpg
RevPI_DIO wiring.jpg (75.03 KiB) Viewed 2998 times
u.biakoup
KUNBUS

Post by u.biakoup »

Hello,
if your power supply on X4 is really 24V and after setting 02 to 1 ( piTest -w O1,1) and getting 11V, the first interpretation would be that you are using the wrong ground. The X2 supply on top of the Revpi is the one that supplies the inputs and outputs. So make sure you use the ground for this supply and not the ground at the bottom for the X4 supply which is exclusively for the CPU supply. Another reason would be that your RevPi Dio is defective, but I don't think so.

Best regards.

Ulrich Kouatang Biakoup | Technical Support