RevPi Core3 Network configuration problem

Topics about the Hardware of Revolution Pi
jpriba
Answers: 0

RevPi Core3 Network configuration problem

Post by jpriba »

Dear All,

I need some help with the following problem:

• We have configured box and installed our own SW .
• The network has been set to static IP address.

Many times we have restarted device for testing and everything was OK, so we sent device to our customer. After two weeks without power-supply the device lost the network settings.

Do you have any idea what could we made wrong or what could be broken?

Thanks a lot for your quick response

JP
volker
Answers: 1

Re: RevPi Core3 Network configuration problem

Post by volker »

I've discussed this with our software department and we can't see any possibility for the system to change the setting without external manipulation. The setting is stored in files which the system would never change without a user's explicit intervention. So the most likely reason is some unconscious mistakes when saving settings or overwriting system files.
Unser RevPi Motto: Don't just claim it - make it!
jpriba

Post by jpriba »

Thanks for quick reply. I did not do this configuration. So, there is ony one possibility - the device is not booting.
volker

Post by volker »

ok, so do I get this right: The system now is not running at all when you say "not booting"? So your first posting was just a guess when you said the IP has been lost? Please let your customer attach a HDMI monitor to find out if the system is working. If your only chance is a remote access by SSH then you may be trapped in that situation. We've discussed that problem in another thread (need to use the search function in the English forum and search for "IP") and someone of the community has sent a little program which can be activated without HDMI but just an ordinary USB keyboard and a special key combination even when you are NOT logged in. This little program does reset the IP to a standard (or dhcp) in order to give you back SSH access. Would that possibly help?
jpriba

Post by jpriba »

Thanks. Problem is, that box is now on the opposite side of planet and I'm sure customer has no mini-hdmi cable. If customer switch power on we can see MAC address by arp but we cannot reach the IP we've set. So, to be honest I do not know what could happen to this box. Today I've received photo from the customer and I can see that both LED on network interface on / it seems like network interface is up. But if interface is UP, kernel module must be loaded, so device is booting. Only one more thing I'm thinking about - is there any possibility for this malfunction in case when customer will make a wrong wiring? In mean wiring for power supply at DIO module?
Timo

Post by Timo »

With which tool did you discover the MAC address by ARP? (There is no IP being displayed?)

I suppose you do not have access to a computer with Wireshark or to a Linux machine (for the "arping" command) on your customers network?
If you have at least the possibility to get a remote connection to a computer in the same network, you could try a "arp -a > c:\file.txt" and look for the MAC and the IP address in the file "file.txt".
jpriba

Post by jpriba »

Timo: We did use arp-a exactly you wrote but we can see only MAC, no IP. I do not know if this version of board has booting or wake on LAN. On that case I think the LED on network interface are ON without proper network setting, aren't?
volker

Post by volker »

JP please read the PM