Docker Image or VM for RevPi OS

Topics about the Software of Revolution Pi
stephan
Answers: 0

Docker Image or VM for RevPi OS

Post by stephan »

Hi,

for integration tests I'd like to have a "virtual" Revolution Pi Core3 where I can execute /usr/bin/piSerial, ifconfig, systemctl, /opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd. Do you provide any Docker image or VM of the RevolutionPi OS that I can use for that? If not how would you recommend to go approach building a docker image for this?
volker
Answers: 1

Re: Docker Image or VM for RevPi OS

Post by volker »

Hi Stephan,
sorry but we do not provide such images or tools for the RevPi. Maybe someone from the community might help you with that topic.
Unser RevPi Motto: Don't just claim it - make it!
Wulf

Post by Wulf »

You should use a VM; docker images may have restricted root access, breaking lots of stuff.

If you run a stock debian image, you should get close enough; if you don't depend on specific hardware or drivers to be present.
Maybe match the installed packages to those installed on the revpi (dpkg -l).

ifconfig (please use "ip" instead. ifconfig has been obsolete for almost 20 years!) and systemctl are available on debian.
piSerial can be rewritten easily:
piSerial.tar.gz
(412 Bytes) Downloaded 548 times
I have no idea about vcgencmd. You might need to write a dummy version of it too. Or perhaps there already is an official emulator.
stephan

Post by stephan »

Thank you for your support and script. I actually went with creating a docker image based on debian arm32v7 that contains a piSerial, vcgencmd, revpi-config as well as a revpi-factory-reset script. It is by far no copy of the real Kunbus Raspbian. Though it's good enough for my use case. If there's interest I can share what I did on GitHub.
jenskastensson

Post by jenskastensson »

Interested, please share!
stephan

Post by stephan »

Sorry it took so long, had to finish some other things first.

A very minimalistic and basic RevPi docker image can be found here: https://hub.docker.com/r/sthuber90/revpi/

The sources, as well as details for python and nodeJS flavoured Docker images are available here: https://github.com/sthuber90/revpi-docker
jenskastensson

Post by jenskastensson »

stephan wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 12:22 Sorry it took so long, had to finish some other things first.
Absolutely no worries and thanks for sharing!