image mac address

Topics about the Software of Revolution Pi
domotica
Answers: 0

image mac address

Post by domotica »

Hi,

We are creating images for our revolutionPi's

The clones wer getting the same mac address of the base image.
After removing the fixed smsc95xx.macadd line from /boot/config.txt we got an other mac address but not the same as mentioned on the frot of the revolution case.

Are these random mac addresses or is there a calculation logic from the serial?

kind regards
Wulf

Re: image mac address

Post by Wulf »

Hi,
there's more info here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=630
In a nut shell:
C8-3E-A7... is assigned by Kunbus and printed on the casing. It's not stored anywhere in the hardware.
B8-27-EB ... is assigned by Raspberry Pi Foundation. Compare your mac address to the value from /proc/cpuinfo, it should match.

If you use the same image for many revpi's, I suggest you get yourself a barcode scanner and create an inventory list.
Noteworthy serials are from "piSerial -s", /proc/cpuinfo, the mac on the label and the revpi serial on the label.
Then after you install an image, you can easily use the serial from "piSerial -s" or "/proc/cpuinfo" to look up the kunbus mac address.
Or you can register your own mac address range and use those. Or for minimal effort use the raspberry addresses.
domotica

Post by domotica »

Hi Wulf,

thx for the reply.

The problem was that we were looking for a way to match the revolution case to a software indentification through mac or serial or any kind, from a image whitout logging into the revolution pre image.

So I think out of the box that this is not possible.

But I found a work around.
As we use logiCAD 3 for our plc. The license file for logi.RTS contains the case label serial and the piSerial -s. Identification made :-)
volker
Answers: 1

Post by volker »

The best way to get a hardware based ID is to use piSerial command. This does print the internal serial number which comes out of the crypto chip.
Unser RevPi Motto: Don't just claim it - make it!
jgentes

Post by jgentes »

I can't seem to find the piSerial utility. It's somewhat confusing, because PySerial is a serial port utility, and we're talking about serial numbers. There's nothing on the web (that I can find) about a piserial command line tool.

I'd like to run a command directly on the device to discover the MAC address that's printed on the case of the revPi. Is that possible?

Thanks!
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Post by dirk »

Hi Jgentes,
you have already found out that there is a utility called PySerial which has obviously nothing to do with piSerial.
You shure did not find anything about piSerial on the web because this tool was written by us and therefore is
just available on the RevPi. This tool shows among other things the serial number of the crypto chip.
Unfortunately it is not possible read out the out the serial number that is printed on the case by using a tool.
But you can just use the same way as we do with our end of line tests: The serial number and the MAC address
is printed on the case in the form of a QR code. So you may use a normal scanner and a small application to read and out and process those valuse.
Then you can call the tool "revpi-factory-reset" to apply the MAC and the default password on the RevPi.
After a reboot those values are applied.