project guidance

Topics about the Software of Revolution Pi
volz
Answers: 0

project guidance

Post by volz »

Hi,

I am planning my project and have a few questions with how and what that may be you can answer or give some guidance on ? The general plan is to have a control application that will be writing in C++ and has a web interface running on the pi that also send/receives messages from the cloud. The noob question i have are:
1. If i run web server on the pi using Apache will it cause a issue with pictory ?
2. what file dose pictory modify ?

thank you for your time
volker
Answers: 1

Re: project guidance

Post by volker »

HI,
PiCtory does mainly write to _config.rsc but does also export if exports have been defined.
If you want to use your own web server then you would need to define another port on which your web server will operate. Procon Web SCADA and other applications are already using this type of sharing the web server's output. If you want to run on standard ports you would need to simply rewrite the home page and build in or leave out a link to PiCtory.
Please note: PiCtory is not designed to be used as Tool during productive operation of your Core. It is a tool written solemnly to configure the system during development. Once the device is successfully configured and your application is running well then it should be kind of natural to reduce your productive system to a minimum and especially not to give internet access to tools which have not been designed for secure internet operation.
We do not recommend at all to open your Core to the internet. For security reasons there should be no possibility from external WAN to call your Webserver. If you plan such a thing we strongly recommend to use "TeamViewer RevPi" which is a great way to protect your web server from being hacked: The web server's output (and only this output) is channelled through the secure TeamViewer connection technology into a client's browser window which is secured: you cannot e.g. change into some kind of debug mode and inject your own code into the sever requests.
You could of course also use any tunnel but you would need to have a fixed IP or some kind of service provider to overcome the problems of dynamic IPs.
However, just be extremely careful when designing a control system with web server connected to WAN.
Unser RevPi Motto: Don't just claim it - make it!
volz

Post by volz »

thank you for you help i will do some more digging. do you have any examples of how to control IO through a c++ program ?
volker

Post by volker »

Please step through the video tutorials 12, 13, 14, and 15...
volz

Post by volz »

i see cheers, iv just loaded the iso onto my raspberry pi in till my revpi gets here. but how can i find the password for the terminal ? "rev pi login" ?
volker

Post by volker »

I would expect that the image will crash on a Raspi as our drivers for piBridge are part of the kernel. However: The default login is user pi pasword raspberry as usual for a Raspi :-)