RevPi 3 system failure

Topics about the Software of Revolution Pi
jenskastensson
Answers: 0

RevPi 3 system failure

Post by jenskastensson »

Hello, I have three RevPI3 (core only) running the same set of software.
One of the devices crashes frequently (~12h).
I have attached photos of the monitor. As I have no experience from Linux crash dumps can you guide me, what are the troubleshooting steps?
I see the Java process is listed in the dump, I do have a Java process but I cannot see anything in my log files. In the kernel log there's nothing at the time of the crash.
Thanks in advance!

volker
Answers: 1

Re: RevPi 3 Crash

Post by volker »

Hi,
sorry to hear that you have problems.
I would like to get your posting into a new thread because it will be weird to get multiple problems of several customers discussed in one thread.
E.g. the first poster has alsready solved his problem somehow and you may have a total different situation and cause for the problem.
Please also give us more details about what you mean when you talk about a "crash". Is your system freezing? All threads / tasks? Do you have a monitor connected or is just you ssh connection freezing? Is there still hdmi output or is there a black screen? Is there any reaction of keyboard /mouse interaction? Or does your system sijmply reboot without reason?
Unser RevPi Motto: Don't just claim it - make it!
jenskastensson

Re: RevPi 3 system failure

Post by jenskastensson »

I have a monitor connected, but no mouse or keyboard.
All web services are unresponsive nor is it possible to connect ssh/sftp
There is still a hdmi output (many hours) after the 'crash' , the attached photos are from the connected monitor.
The system doesn't reboot, I have to power cycle it to startup again.
Can you get any useful info from the dump?
volker
Answers: 1

Post by volker »

Our Linux team could not find any specific info which would explain the failure.
As you seem to run a customers software and configuration this could become a difficult task to analyze from over here.
So let me start giving some general advise:
We are running a system which relies an eMMC as mass storage device. But this "mass" is just somthing less than 1 GB left over for your applications and the ret of the world writing files. This could cause problems if your applications are causing massive error logs and the system runs out of disk space. So please check the disk capacity which is left over for log files etc. There should be enough room for swap and cach files etc.

Then you could make image copies of 2 of your systems and exchange the complete images . If the failure stays with the device you will have most likely a hardware problem. if the failure staays with the image you do have a system software problem cuased by some difference between the 2 images. Try and find out the differnece between the 2 images.

Hope these hints will help you finding the cause(s) for the problems. Good luck!
Unser RevPi Motto: Don't just claim it - make it!
jenskastensson

Post by jenskastensson »

Thank you for your support, I will keep you posted when and if I can find an error-pattern!