Graphical UI and touch screen

Topics about the Software of Revolution Pi
tintin
Answers: 0

Graphical UI and touch screen

Post by tintin »

Hi

Has anyone used the revolutionPi along with a touchscreen?
I'm interested to use the CM3 in some automation projects in our plant.

I have worked on similar systems, DIN-Rail computer (Intel Atom CPU) connected to PLC with serial cable. And to the computer we had resistive touchscreen.
For the graphical GUI I wrote a JavaFX8 based software.

On the RevolutionPi my expectation is that I can have everything in the same hardware.

How is your experience with RevolutionPi and touch GUI?
volker
Answers: 1

Re: Graphical UI and touch screen

Post by volker »

Some customers are using the faytech monitors. We are actually evaluating them ans when the result is positive we will sell them in our online store.
Unser RevPi Motto: Don't just claim it - make it!
tintin

Post by tintin »

Ok, good.
But what do you recommend for writing a GUI with touch? As I told earlier I have been using JavaFX8, but maybe it's to CPU-consuming?
I have been looking av Python Kivy, but have never tried it..
volker

Post by volker »

This is a question with many answers. It totally depends on your demands, your expertise and your preferences.
E.g. using a tool like procon web will enable you to set up a full scada solution but also will need learning a complex system.
You could directly program in Python (which i have done several times) using libraries like tkinter an pygame. This will fit to anyone firm in python and following the concepts of GUI programming in Python (e.g. knowing how to handle the endless loop of the GUI and using classes and multi threading to get things done in parallel).
If you like more the "dummy way" of setting up a GUI you should try using Node.red dashboards to get an idea of limits and chances to use this wonderful drag & drop tool. if you are frim in HTML you can extend the features of Node.Red based GUIs to great looking UIs.
tintin

Post by tintin »

Thank you for your reply.
The Procon Scada solution looks interesting, but it's hard to find information about it.
I'm interested to buy a license and try. But before I buy i want to know more, do you have any more information? Tutorial? Screenshot? Is the programmer IDE in english? Do I need logiCad3?

Thanks!
volker

Post by volker »

Hi,
no it runs without logi.cad
The run time system is pre-installed on your RevPi and you just need to activate the service. The system is running without licnece for an hour or so and then you need to reboot. So it is fine to just try it and see if you are content with it. You can find tons of information on the companies side (GTI control). if you have specific questions just ask here in the forum and the GTI support will answer if cannot do so.