Boot RevPI core 3 from USB

Topics about the Software of Revolution Pi
bartpape
Answers: 0

Boot RevPI core 3 from USB

Post by bartpape »

Hello,

I'm trying to boot the RevPI core 3 from a USB device.
i've followed the procedure to boot from USB desribed by the raspberrypi.org website: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... des/msd.md

When I check the OTP the result is 17:322000a, according to the documentation this should be 17:302000a.

I've tried to boot from usb after this anyway, but it didn't work.

Can I make the RevPI bootable from USB?

Best regards,
Bart Pape
volker
Answers: 1

Re: Boot RevPI core 3 from USB

Post by volker »

Hi Bart,
we have not tried this yet. Could you possibly put a message on the Raspi Foundation's forum (www.raspberrypi.org) asking if USB Booting from CM3 is possible and if yes if there would be a difference in the workflow to prepare the system to do so?
They sould know and be able to give an expert answer.
Unser RevPi Motto: Don't just claim it - make it!
bartpape

Post by bartpape »

Hi Volker,

I Came accross the following info on http://www.raspberrypi.org ( https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=185933 )
If you set the OTP bit, yes. I have a CM3L that is working that way. It's sitting in a WD SATA Adapter with an attached SSD. The SATA connection is on the USB bus so the "boot over USB" works with it. Bear in mind that if a CM3 has a bootable eMMC, it *will* boot from that even if there is also a bootable USB device.
I'll try to empty the eMMC, and see if the USB boot is working. I Will get back on this.
volker

Post by volker »

Okay,
this does not sound very hopeful. CM3L does not have an eMMC but works with SD card or boot over USB. We will offer a CM3L variant of the RevPi Compact (first shown on SPS/DRIVES exhibition end of November) which does not have an eMMC. If you would like to try you could get a CM3L from Raspberry and put it into the socket instead of the CM3. BUT: actually we are fixing the CM3 module onto the socket with 2K adhesive in order to prevent modules from jumping out of the socket under heavy shock / vibration. (next revision will have the modules screwed to the main board). So you would need to carefully get rid of the adhesive which is a little risky for this kind of experiment. So you could go on and try if emptying the eMMC will help (seems to be unlikely but may be worth a trial). Please let us know about your proceedings.
bartpape

Post by bartpape »

Hi Volker,

I promised some feedback :)

After setting the OTP bit, I can't connect the RevPI to my PC as USB host.
RPi boot doesn't recognise my device anymore.

I guess by setting the OTP bit, I disabled the USB host boot mode.

The error above causes a probem; I'm not able to clear the eMMC (right now)..

For now, I don't think setting the OTP bit is a good idea ;)
volker

Post by volker »

Thanks for the feedback.
jenskastensson

Post by jenskastensson »

I'm interested in booting from USB too. The idea is to be able distribute an emergency recovery USB to our users.
jarlhakkert

Post by jarlhakkert »

Hi,

I have been working with Bart on the same issue and also cannot access the RevPi3 with "rpiboot". Is there some way the RevPi3 can be repaired, or do we need to consider this device as "bricked"?

Kind regards,
Jarl.
volker

Post by volker »

Hi,
sorry to hear that. We have no idea if there is any chance to do so. best chance is to post this question at Raspi Foundation and ask them if you can somehow restore the ComputeModule if you have manipulated it in this way.
jgentes

Post by jgentes »

We'd like to boot to USB as well. Is there any update on whether the revPi Core 3 supports this? Seems like USB boot should be a standard feature of the platform.

Thanks,

-James