Support for resin.io

Topics about the Software of Revolution Pi
volker
Answers: 1

Re: Support for resin.io

Post by volker »

Thanks for getting involved and sharing your plans with us. Please give us a little time to discuss this topic in our product management and please send me a PM with your company's name and address - there could be some topics we might better discuss and exchange in privacy.
Unser RevPi Motto: Don't just claim it - make it!
stephan
Answers: 0

Post by stephan »

Hi @jgentes,

we've tried to setup one of our RevPi Core 3 with the balena.io (rebranded resin.io for everybody) image for the Revolution Pi Core 3 (revpi-core-3-2.26.0+rev1-dev-v8.0.0) unfortunatly it doesn't seem to work out of the box. The RevPi starts up, but doesn't register with balena and I can also not see any console output from the RevPi whith HDMI connected.

Were you more successful on using RevPi with balena? Can you maybe provide a getting started?

Thanks in advance.
jgentes

Post by jgentes »

@stephan (hopefully you get this, the forum doesn't have notifications turned on by default..)

I tested the production version of that build the other day and found that if you don't remove the USB cable that you use to flash the device, it will never come online. Once you finish flashing it, pull out the USB and cycle the power, then you should see it come online on the resin dashboard.
stephan

Post by stephan »

jgentes wrote: 23 Nov 2018, 19:21 @stephan (hopefully you get this, the forum doesn't have notifications turned on by default..)

I tested the production version of that build the other day and found that if you don't remove the USB cable that you use to flash the device, it will never come online. Once you finish flashing it, pull out the USB and cycle the power, then you should see it come online on the resin dashboard.
I've tried setting up a RevPi Core 3 with the "Revpoltion Pi Core 3" as selected device and "v2.26.0+rev1" as version. I tried the development image and couldn't see a shell and it didn't show up online at all. I'll try the production version next, but it would surprise me if that works out. Still giving it a shot.

Did you make any progress on developing a custom OS image for the RevPi? Would be interesting to keep the Modbus and I/O functions that are built in.

EDIT: I just tried setting up a RevPi Core 3 with "RevPi Core 3 v2.26.0+rev1" production version. I removed all cables connected except ethernet. Still no success. There's no shell I can use and the device does not show up in balena cloud. Do you have any idea what else I can try? I followed this "Getting started" https://www.balena.io/docs/learn/gettin ... -3/nodejs/
jgentes

Post by jgentes »

stephan wrote: 26 Nov 2018, 09:59
I've tried setting up a RevPi Core 3 with the "Revpoltion Pi Core 3" as selected device and "v2.26.0+rev1" as version. I tried the development image and couldn't see a shell and it didn't show up online at all. I'll try the production version next, but it would surprise me if that works out. Still giving it a shot.

Did you make any progress on developing a custom OS image for the RevPi? Would be interesting to keep the Modbus and I/O functions that are built in.

EDIT: I just tried setting up a RevPi Core 3 with "RevPi Core 3 v2.26.0+rev1" production version. I removed all cables connected except ethernet. Still no success. There's no shell I can use and the device does not show up in balena cloud. Do you have any idea what else I can try? I followed this "Getting started" https://www.balena.io/docs/learn/gettin ... -3/nodejs/
Well we do have a small % of revPi's that we have to send back because they never come online. We don't know what the cause is, but the symptom is that the network port never lights up.

You should also try installing the standard Raspberry Pi build to see if that works, and even try a previous version. We found the 2.12 version of ResinOS was very stable. We've setup at least 50 RevPi's using the Raspberry Pi build, but only a few using the new RevPi build.

To your question about the custom OS - that's what the RevPi image is. We paid the Resin team to develop a version of their base OS to run on RevPi and support the I/O functionality, and the RevPi image is the result.
stephan

Post by stephan »

@jgentes folgendes habe ich jetzt ausprobiert:

1. RevPi mit USB verbinden. usboot.exe starten und RevPi anschalten (Strom einstecken)
2. Mit etcher Image aufspielen.
3. Nach Abschluss. Den Strom vom RevPi Core 3 trennen, USB Kabel ausstecken, Netzwerkkabel einstecken.
4. Strom anschalten und schauen ob der Netzwerkanschluss blinkt oder das Gerät bei balena.io online auftaucht.

Ich habe das für folgende Images durchgeführt
* revpi-core-3-2.26.0+rev1-v8.0.0.img
* revpi-core-3-2.15.1+rev2-dev-v7.16.6
* raspberrypi3-2.27.0+rev1-v8.3.5
* raspberrypi3-2.12.7+rev2-dev-v7.4.3

Immer ohne Erfolg. Werde das auch nochmal im balena-Forum schreiben. Hab ich was falsch gemacht? Auf der Basis ist balena ein viel zu teures und schlechtes Produkt für uns.
jgentes

Post by jgentes »

stephan wrote: 29 Nov 2018, 16:11 @jgentes folgendes habe ich jetzt ausprobiert:

1. RevPi mit USB verbinden. usboot.exe starten und RevPi anschalten (Strom einstecken)
2. Mit etcher Image aufspielen.
3. Nach Abschluss. Den Strom vom RevPi Core 3 trennen, USB Kabel ausstecken, Netzwerkkabel einstecken.
4. Strom anschalten und schauen ob der Netzwerkanschluss blinkt oder das Gerät bei balena.io online auftaucht.

Ich habe das für folgende Images durchgeführt
* revpi-core-3-2.26.0+rev1-v8.0.0.img
* revpi-core-3-2.15.1+rev2-dev-v7.16.6
* raspberrypi3-2.27.0+rev1-v8.3.5
* raspberrypi3-2.12.7+rev2-dev-v7.4.3

Immer ohne Erfolg. Werde das auch nochmal im balena-Forum schreiben. Hab ich was falsch gemacht? Auf der Basis ist balena ein viel zu teures und schlechtes Produkt für uns.
I think you must have a 'bad' device. We have a stack of about 5 of them that we will be returning. I don't know what causes them to fail like this, but it seems like a small percentage of them do. We found the 2.12 raspberry pi build to be the most reliable, so if that doesn't work I'm not sure what else the problem would be.
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Post by dirk »

@stephan does your RevPi Core 3 boot with the RevPi Stretch image?
adolfogc

Post by adolfogc »

Hello,

Which hardware version of the Revolution Pi is currently compatible with Balena? I'd be interested in trying this configuration: RevPi Con CAN + RevPi Con CAN using SocketCAN in Balena (Resin).
floion

Post by floion »

Hi @adolfogc, currently Balena supports the Revolution Pi Core 3.