Best/fastest way for duplicating rev pi

Topics about the Software of Revolution Pi
nhosko
Answers: 0

Best/fastest way for duplicating rev pi

Post by nhosko »

Hi,

I've installed some software and set several settings on my first RevPi, now I need to make several copies of it to distribute to the end-clients.

I've managed to make an image of the original RevPi (32GB) and I can transfer this image to further RevPis - it all works, however the process takes a long of time as I'm moving 32GB via USB2.0. So for one RevPi about one hour.

Is there a better/faster way for duplicating my original RevPi?
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Re: Best/fastest way for duplicating rev pi

Post by dirk »

Hi nhosko, have a look at the GitHub ImageBakery repository. Maybe you can create your image on a basis of it again and this is all you need.
If you do so the "revpi-facory-reset" script is called on first login. There you have to input the informations like "core 1234 ab:dc:ef:12:34:56" and then
the script initializes the settings like password, mac, and resizes the partition to full size.

So apart from this the last step is to setup the credentials to default.
There is a Python script that I posted in the forum which you can use to automate this i.e. by using a QR Code scanner:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1976&p=7679#p7476

But in case you just want to shrink your image then do you already know PiShrink?
https://github.com/Drewsif/PiShrink
With it you can easily shrink your image. On first boot the image is then resized.