alternative image/buster release?

Topics about the Software of Revolution Pi
SolsticeTree
Answers: 0

alternative image/buster release?

Post by SolsticeTree »

We have been using an rt-patched version of ubuntu on raspberry pi but need an industrialized iteration.
What functionality would we lose if we flashed a revpi with that image?
I assume some device drivers would be missing, but would the basic functionality be available, e.g. ethernet ports?

Alternatively what is the timeline for a buster release?
We need to decide whether to wait or look for an alternative solution.
p.rosenberger
KUNBUS
Answers: 1

Re: alternative image/buster release?

Post by p.rosenberger »

Hi SolsticeTree,

to use our devices you would need at least the devicetree overlays. And our dt-blobs to initialize the h/w correctly. If you wan to use just a RevPi core/connect/.. without any additional modules (DI/DO/DIO/..) it should work fine. We added some patches on top of our kernel which might improve performance with rs485.

For Buster I can't give you a definitive timeline, but we are working on it and hope to release it soon.

Best Regards
Philipp
FrancoTampieri

Post by FrancoTampieri »

p.rosenberger wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 08:57 to use our devices you would need at least the devicetree overlays.
And our dt-blobs to initialize the h/w correctly.
We added some patches on top of our kernel which might improve performance with rs485.
Hi Philipp,

do u think is possible to create a base Buster Image with your patched kernel to start work on following the instruction on this repo?

If u accept beta testers I can offer me and my revolution pi connect+ and core+ :)
Disobedient Entrepreneur, IT Enthusiast, Senior Blockchain, Python, Odoo Developer with a dash of C#
p.rosenberger
KUNBUS

Post by p.rosenberger »

Hi FrancoTampieri,

we are currently deep in the development phase for our buster release. The kernel should remain the same for now. We might put out a new version with some minor changes in the next weeks. But this kernel will be also available for stretch and the same on both distributions. A newer kernel maybe 5.10 is on our agenda, but I can't give you a timeline for this either.

We started a devel/buster branch in the imagebakery repo. But this is still under development. We try to straighten out some things. In the future we hope to keep up with the rpi development.

Best Regards
Philipp
FrancoTampieri

Post by FrancoTampieri »

p.rosenberger wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 14:07 we are currently deep in the development phase for our buster release. The kernel should remain the same for now. We might put out a new version with some minor changes in the next weeks.
Hi Philipp!
that's good news, I would like to start some tests to Buster with your actual kernel if works, and need to compile on it python 3.9.1 for some reason that is complicated to explain there now :D
Or maybe wait your pre-release, now your solution is on the old-stable release and my fear is to loose compatibility with new software release, like new node / nodered etc. etc.

Of course my offer to be a beta-tester is everytime valid.

Take care and good Job

Franco
Disobedient Entrepreneur, IT Enthusiast, Senior Blockchain, Python, Odoo Developer with a dash of C#
p.rosenberger
KUNBUS

Post by p.rosenberger »

Hi Franco,

the package repo is now ready. If you like you might do some testing. It is still BETA so I don't recommend using it for production: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2757

Best Regards,
Philipp