Critical/Very urgent
57%

Total votes: 14

yarharel
Answers: 0

Buster support ETA

Post by yarharel »

Hi,

Buster (Debian 10) has been released over an year ago.
While Stretch (Debian 9) has LTS support till Jan 2022, there are still packages that have security issues (like Bash) that aren't resolved.

Can you share you timeline on Buster support on RevPI?

Thanks!
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Re: Buster support ETA

Post by dirk »

Hi yarharel at the moment we cannot estimate when we'll have a Buster release. I can understand your requirement. You can try an experimental buster upgrade by
changing the "stretch" to "buster" keywords in the following files:
  • /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list
  • /etc/apt/sources.list

This is the quick and dirty way - not recommend on productive systems.

Code: Select all

sudo sed -i 's/stretch/buster/' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list
sudo sed -i 's/stretch/buster/' /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo reboot
yarharel

Post by yarharel »

Experimental upgrades aren't our thing (in production env...)

Hope to get enough traction in this post to make this thing a priority.

DON'T FORGET TO VOTE !
fgaultier

Post by fgaultier »

How do you vote ?

For me buster is quite urgent
yarharel

Post by yarharel »

On the the top of the page, you can see the poll where you can vote
gazzatav

Post by gazzatav »

Dear Kunbus, I would like to install a recommended version of postgresql, say 10 at least because I need to log some data and replicate to another database at another site. Replication will require the databases to be a match.

In stretch I find that snapd is broken, I spent a lot of time trying to get that to work. The stretch-pgdg repository does not support armhf, I just spent a morning researching that option and trying it. I was going to simply update the sources.list but that is not recommended without pinning the kernel version. Instead of a nice tutorial on this we have 'go and read the apt-get manual on pinning'. I did and I'm still none the wiser about the drawbacks, realtime clock etc. I am perfectly happy in a Linux environment but it is maddening and frustrating to have to work with such outdated software and not have a reasonably simple upgrade path. I would build postgresql from deb-src but I doubt the revpi core has enough memory to do it and in any case it would take a long time. I have already wasted days. Tools are provided for people to bake their own kernels so it sounds like it would be relatively easy for Kunbus to do this or, alternatively, add a repo of security sensitive products which keep up with the times. If I did nothing but work on this all day then I would invest the time to learn all about it. Buster is the current stable Debian release and was released over a year ago (July 2019). I can understand Kunbus waiting till it has teething problems sorted out, even six months but over a year!

Please get this done.