RevPi Core Stuck in Boot Sequence

Topics about the Software of Revolution Pi
mnelson
Answers: 0

RevPi Core Stuck in Boot Sequence

Post by mnelson »

Hello all,

I've attempted to upgrade from Jessie to Stretch on a RevPi Core using the images found on the Kunbus site, but I believe the image may have been corrupted since the boot sequence is stuck on "random: crng init done". I've searched some Raspberry Pi forums and here for the solution, but it appears that pressing enter and attempting to use RpiBoot from a Windows 10 Pro machine does not work for me. The latter I am unable to see the device using the microusb or the standard usb inputs. Rpiboot says "Waiting for BCM2835/6/7/2711...". I've looked in Device Manager and the device is invisible to me even there. I've also tried the suggestion of placing Windows 10 into Testing Mode and reinstalling the USB driver manually - all to no avail.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Mike
lukas
Expert

Re: RevPi Core Stuck in Boot Sequence

Post by lukas »

You mean the kernel starts up normally but after printing "random: crng init done", nothing happens? Normally the next thing that should happen is that the root filesystem is mounted and systemd is started. Perhaps the kernel is unable to mount the root filesystem because it doesn't know where it resides? The first thing which I would check is whether /boot/cmdline.txt contains "root=/dev/mmcblk0p2".

Of course to check this you need to mount it on your PC using rpiboot and you report that doesn't work. Do you attach the RevPi directly to a USB port on your PC or is there a USB hub in-between? We've occasionally seen problems with RevPis not being detected if they're behind a USB hub.
zhan

Post by zhan »

Hallo Mike,

I think you are talking about two issues, one is failed to upgrade from jessie to stretch, the other one is failed to flash the image from windows 10 pro, am I right?
For the upgrading, I think if you can post some detail steps you've done, maybe we can give you more help.
For the flashing, I am not quite sure which suggestion information you've tried, a hint from me is that the "Driver Signature" of windows 10 Pro has to be disable to use the rpiboot. ref: https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/di ... 10-easily/

Best regards,
Simon
Simon
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Post by dirk »

Hi Mike, how is it going? We would like to receive your precious feedback.
mnelson

Post by mnelson »

All,

Thank you for your replies and apologies for not getting back sooner.
lukas wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 17:24 You mean the kernel starts up normally but after printing "random: crng init done", nothing happens? Normally the next thing that should happen is that the root filesystem is mounted and systemd is started. Perhaps the kernel is unable to mount the root filesystem because it doesn't know where it resides? The first thing which I would check is whether /boot/cmdline.txt contains "root=/dev/mmcblk0p2".

Of course to check this you need to mount it on your PC using rpiboot and you report that doesn't work. Do you attach the RevPi directly to a USB port on your PC or is there a USB hub in-between? We've occasionally seen problems with RevPis not being detected if they're behind a USB hub.
This is correct - I do not have a USB hub in between, it is directly to my machine. We've also tried multiple USB cables in case we had a defective one.
zhan wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 09:56 Hallo Mike,

I think you are talking about two issues, one is failed to upgrade from jessie to stretch, the other one is failed to flash the image from windows 10 pro, am I right?
For the upgrading, I think if you can post some detail steps you've done, maybe we can give you more help.
For the flashing, I am not quite sure which suggestion information you've tried, a hint from me is that the "Driver Signature" of windows 10 Pro has to be disable to use the rpiboot. ref: https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/di ... 10-easily/

Best regards,
Simon
We followed the quick start guide for the Revpi Core with sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade -y. From there we wished to switch from Jessie to Stretch by first uploading the image from our existing Core using disk imager and then flashing the Revpi Stretch image we downloaded from the site. After flashing we ran into the issue mentioned in the OP. We've also tried disabling the Driver Signature feature from my machine that we were trying to run Revpi boot from.
dirk wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 14:42 Hi Mike, how is it going? We would like to receive your precious feedback.
Thank you for checking in. Please see replies above. We have since switched from the Revpi Core to the Core 3 for our prototyping purposes - the 3 is a better application for us for reasons outside of the problems listed here (the processor speed being one of them), but we have not run into the same issues with the 3 as we did with the base Core. Revpi Boot works with the Core 3 and we are able to flash and upload images.