Transfer image from one RevPi Connect to another

Topics about the Software of Revolution Pi
RR4711
Answers: 0

Transfer image from one RevPi Connect to another

Post by RR4711 »

Hi,
I have made extensive configuration work and installed a lot of user software on my RevPi Connect 32GB. I made an Image via USB and Win32DiskImager. I was wondering if I could write this to a 2nd identical unitfor "backup" purposes in case of HW failures?

I noticed that in the

Code: Select all

/boot/config.txt
the MAC adresses of the 2 internal NICs are set via device tree overlay. Is there a tool available that reads them from some internal non-volatile Memory (I2C Prom or the like) and changes the config.txt accordingly or are they really only laser etched and entered manually before leaving factory?

I assume there must be an automatic way of doing this since you distribute a generic Raspian image and don't ask for a serial number before downloading to customize the image before downloading it from the web server.

How is this done (also regarding the password on the sticker)?

Markus
nicolaiB
KUNBUS
Answers: 7

Re: Transfer image from one RevPi Connect to another

Post by nicolaiB »

Check out the revPi-factory-reset tool, which sets the serial, Mac and the default password according to your label on the device.

Nicolai
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Post by dirk »

Hi yes thumbs up for nicolaiB, thank you :) The "revpi-factory-reset" tool and then a "reboot" sets the MAC address and the credentials according to the printed values on the front and the sticker.
RR4711

Post by RR4711 »

I get a

Code: Select all

pi@RevPi19912:~ $ revpi-factory-reset
Usage: revpi-factory-reset <compact|connect|core> <serial> <mac addr>
(see front plate)
So I don't see the difference of editing the config.txt by hand and using the tool then if I have to read it from the housing label.
Are you guys seriously not having the MAC adresses in some non-volatile memory and rely on the end user not messing around with duplicate MACs and all kind of stuff that could go wrong there? I assume the default password is calculated from the serial number then? Another 15 Cents saved from the BOM....

Aiaiai....

Markus
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Post by dirk »

Hi, you may scan the QR-Codes on the front. This is what we do during the end testing. See here on the end of the tutorial "How to Safe and Install a new Image".
RR4711

Post by RR4711 »

I just edited the config.txt, is faster. It's just weird as the Kunbus RevPi as a "professional System" relies on HW information stored in some config files or written on the housing. I would have expected an EEPROM. I assume the Crypto ASIC which probably is not used either up to now was too expensive to put another 15 Cent part in....

But well it works now.

Cheers

Markus