RevPi Connect+ Balena OS support: Process Image bytes

Topics about the Software of Revolution Pi
netFluxNChill
Answers: 0

RevPi Connect+ Balena OS support: Process Image bytes

Post by netFluxNChill »

Howdy,

I have a RevPi Connect+ that I am trying to use with a Revolution Pi Core 3 image on BalenaOS (2.31.5+rev2). I am only doing this because Balena does not have an image for the RevPi Connect+.

Most things work ok, but since this is a RevPi Core image, the process image bits I am trying to access do not do the same thing as they would on a RevPi Connect+.

piTest does not work natively, however I did clone the piControl repository and compile piTest to run from that directory.

piTest -d returns the following:

Code: Select all

Address: 0 module type: 95 (0x5f) RevPi Core V1.2
Module is present
         input offset: 0 length: 6
         output offset: 6 length: 5
When I try to use piTest to change the A3 LED, nothing happens. I tried to see if I could see with input on X2 with piTest -r, but I looked at every byte up to byte 23 and did not see anything change when I applied 24V to this input.

I am wondering if there is any way for me to access these status bits (particularly the input on X2 and the relay output on X2). Any thoughts?
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Re: RevPi Connect+ Balena OS support: Process Image bytes

Post by dirk »

Dear netFluxNChill, have a look at the Git HUB repository. It is necessary to make a "revpi-factory-reset" on the default image once so that the proper device tree is selected on boot, etc.
martijngerrits

Post by martijngerrits »

Hi netFluxNChill, you managed to get it working on the RevPi Connect+?

I want to use BalenaOS with the RevPi Connect+ as well, and trying to do some research on how to get this working before I buy the base module + gateways/extension modules (M-Bus + DIO + AIO).

@dirk : What do you mean with "revpi-factory-reset" exactly?

Is there any progress on using Yocto layers with the RevPi systems perhaps?
lukas
Expert

Post by lukas »

@martijngerrits: You need to edit /boot/config.txt and change "dtoverlay=revpi-core" to "dtoverlay=revpi-connect". You also need to add dtparam entries for the MAC address of eth1. revpi-factory-reset is a script which we ship on our image in /usr/sbin/. It will perform these steps, among other things.

Changing /boot/config.txt will result in piControl recognizing that it's running on a Connect. I'm not really familiar with Balena OS so I can't say for sure whether those are the only changes necessary to get Balena OS running.

I'm afraid we're currently not looking into building images with yocto. We just use the stock Raspbian image and customize it to our needs (using customize_image.sh).
martijngerrits

Post by martijngerrits »

@lukas thanks for your answer. Will help a lot.

I will look into getting BalenaOS working on de Connect+ with the use of the base image Balena provides for the Core ( these are based on the Yocto project, that's why I asked ).

I truly think this is one of the best ways the Revolution Pi series can be used, since most of them will be all over the country and managing software from a distance is more than just a hassle.
BalenaOS provides an easy way to manage and update container-based applications externally. Even the host OS.

Any progress I will make, I will try to post in this thread.
Jason

Post by Jason »

I am also using RevPi Connect+ and found another solution that has easier integration and provide all I need in terms of OTA updates, control, remote managing and etc.
I know other guys here also use it to manage RevPi based products remotely - https://www.upswift.io/
Hope it helps someone :D