how to remove/delete the pictory config.rsc files from RevPi ?

Topics about the Software of Revolution Pi
Anil
Answers: 0

how to remove/delete the pictory config.rsc files from RevPi ?

Post by Anil »

I am newly working on Pictory with RevPi core and RevPi connect and just trying to play and plug so I created many configuration files from Pictory, now I want them to remove.
I tried to remove those but unable to do so, as shown in the attached. Even I tried to delete those files directly from OS accessing it through UI but denied the permission. please help me.
Attachments
Pictory.png
Pictory.png (236.37 KiB) Viewed 5137 times
Frank

Re: how to remove/delete the pictory config.rsc files from RevPi ?

Post by Frank »

Hello Anil,

thanks a lot that you called our attention to this error. The reason for this is a typo in the file /var/www/pictory/php/deleteFile.php
We will correct this error in the upcoming new release of our RevPi devices. For now you can use the following workaround:

1. open a console session to your 'RevPi' device (login with user 'pi' and the individual password of your device)
2. execute the command:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /var/www/pictory/php/deleteFile.php
3. change the statement beginning with:

if (count($arrPathname) == 2 && [...]
to

if (count($arrPathname) == 3 && [...]
4. Save your change by pressing 'Ctrl-X' and confirm with 'y' (for 'Yes')

After this, the 'Delete' Buttons in the file dialog window should work correctly.

Regards,
Frank
RR4711

Post by RR4711 »

It would also be cool if the password dialog for the web interface could be fixed, right now it doesn't allow special characters which is a bit annoying. We use passwords with a "dot" for instance and it refuses to change it.
Anil

Post by Anil »

Thanks, Frank for a solution. Before your solution, I tried the following command to delete the files and successfully delete by using the LX terminal, but the consequence is that the UI of pictory is not visible properly. I mean the tab of files, Tools, info is fade away.

sudo rm config.rsc /var/www/pictory/projects

This might be another bug, please let me know the solution.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Hello RR4711,

unfortunaltely even if we would allow some special characters, the 'dot' would likely not be among them, since dots have special meanings in a lot of systems and program codes - and therefore are very often explicitly not allowed as parts of passwords.

Regards,
Frank
Frank

Post by Frank »

Hello Anil,

if you actually deleted the _config.rsc file this was unfortunate since this file has a special meaning for the -PiCtory- system and must remain in the 'projects' directory even if you delete all other '.rsc' files.
If your -PiCtory- is no longer working now, please extract the empty (0 Byte) initial _config.rsc file from the attached '_config.zip' and copy it to the 'projects' directory ...
If you then restart your -PiCtory- application, everything should work again.

Regards,
Frank
Attachments
_config.zip
(156 Bytes) Downloaded 373 times
RR4711

Post by RR4711 »

Frank wrote: 20 Aug 2019, 12:01 Hello RR4711,

unfortunaltely even if we would allow some special characters, the 'dot' would likely not be among them, since dots have special meanings in a lot of systems and program codes - and therefore are very often explicitly not allowed as parts of passwords.

Regards,
Frank
So I assume your implementation of the password handling is broken then? I see no technical reason for the limitations) when it's done proper.
Frank

Post by Frank »

I'm going to check the current implementation - and if other special characters are working correctly in a password string, while the 'dot' is not, this clearly indicates that the dot is an 'EXTRA special' special character which would need an EXTRA treatment throughout the whole program code to prevent unwanted side effects. This could then be a reason to explicitly forbid the dot with an error message when entering one. Of course it is an error in the password handling if you can enter a dot, but then the dot is not saved to the encrypted password string. For sure every speciality can be escaped in principle - this mainly comes down to the effort we are willing to put into this detail. I will analyse this, but can't promise at the moment, that the 'cure' we choose is anything other than explicitly catching and preventing the use of dots in passwords.

Frank