Image flashing

Topics about the Software of Revolution Pi
Vitaly Dekhtyarev
Answers: 0

Image flashing

Post by Vitaly Dekhtyarev »

Hi there.

I am using Connect in my bachelor project and followed the video tutorial to set up the device. However, during the set up I had to use a laptop with Ubuntu in stead of Windows, and I am not a pro in Linux.
So to make an image of existing OS I used the tutorial on raspberrypi.org for Compute module for Linux.
"Accidentally" I flashed the OS, but not made an image of the existing one, because the tutorial was actually about flashing the image to a device (that was stupid, I know).
Anyway, I doubt now if I have done the thing properly.
Question:
How much space occupies installed Stretch (the last release)?
How can I increase the size of the drive I have, if needed? (disassemble the Connect and insert a new memory card?)

I have currently 774 MB free space of total 3,9 GiB according to file manager and have already installed some packages as RealVNC viewer, RealVNC server, updated and upgradet the system.
command: df -H shows the following:
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 3.8G 2.8G 812M 78% /
devtmpfs 482M 0 482M 0% /dev
tmpfs 486M 0 486M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 486M 6.6M 480M 2% /run
tmpfs 5.3M 4.1K 5.3M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 486M 0 486M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0pl 46M 23M 23M 51% /boot
tmpfs 98M 4.1K 98M 1% /run/user/1000

The system itself works fine.
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Re: Image flashing

Post by dirk »

Hi never mind that you did not backup the original image. You may proceed with an image from the shop. On the first login you are prompted for MAC and serial number. After reboot you have a factory reset device.
You may safe as much space as possible when you create your own minimal image. Have a look at this post.
Truos

Post by Truos »

Is it possible to open the revpi and change the CM module to one with more storage?
Vitaly Dekhtyarev

dirk wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 12:52 Hi never mind that you did not backup the original image. You may proceed with an image from the shop. On the first login you are prompted for MAC and serial number. After reboot you have a factory reset device.
So there is no memory occupied by some not removed components of the previous OS?
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Post by dirk »

No, you have full access to the eMMC flash so you may easily read or write the image of the system.
Vitaly Dekhtyarev

dirk wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 09:32 No, you have full access to the eMMC flash so you may easily read or write the image of the system.
Thanks!