Windows 10 IoT core

Post by garybronson »

Can it run Windows 10 IoT core?
volker
Answers: 1

Re: Windows 10 IoT core

Post by volker »

Hi Gary,
Win IoT core is only available for Raspi 2 and newer devices. The CM1 is Raspi B+ compatible and thus there is no binary for Win IoT core available for CM1.
We will release the CM3 version of RevPi Core soon and CM3 is compatible with Raspi 3. so there will be a chance running Win IoT on CM3. We have not yet tested it and possibly we will need to solve some problems make it running on CM3. As far as I know Raspi org not yet has released an image for CM3 with Win IoT core. May be you ask them if they have done or will do in the near future?
Unser RevPi Motto: Don't just claim it - make it!
Hoppe
Answers: 0

Post by Hoppe »

Hi Volker,
Using Revolution PI with OS Win10 IOT Core will be exciting! My suggestion is that Kunbus should investigate a little bit in this direction because there is a market that is not still visible yet... Some nows about?
Thanks!
espijk

Post by espijk »

Hello,

Any update on the RevPi Core 3 and Windows IoT Core compatibility/test ?

Regards Eric
volker

Post by volker »

Sorry but we don't have new info about that...
Could you please explain your use case to us? As those users who are in close contact to us have never asked for Win10 compatibility we are in doubt that there is a big need for it. But this may be just an impression biased by those users who have got what they were searching for. So knowing more about those users who would like to run Win10 on the system could possibly change this bias. What is your application software which needs Win10 and would not run on linux? What kind of industrial application your RevPi system will be part of? Pleaase give us an impression. If we can see a high market potential we might be able to undertake further steps together with the raspi foundation to get preasure on MS to make the necessary implementations to get Win10 running on CM3. But we would need arguments...
espijk

Post by espijk »

volker wrote:Sorry but we don't have new info about that...
Could you please explain your use case to us? As those users who are in close contact to us have never asked for Win10 compatibility we are in doubt that there is a big need for it. But this may be just an impression biased by those users who have got what they were searching for. So knowing more about those users who would like to run Win10 on the system could possibly change this bias. What is your application software which needs Win10 and would not run on linux? What kind of industrial application your RevPi system will be part of? Pleaase give us an impression. If we can see a high market potential we might be able to undertake further steps together with the raspi foundation to get preasure on MS to make the necessary implementations to get Win10 running on CM3. But we would need arguments...
thank you for the quick reply and clear answer.
We're currenlty looking for a industrial IoT device that will send data to Microsoft Azure. From a control/management standpoint it's better for us to have Microsoft OS/code on both sides.
We could use a standard PI. But the Revolution PI is a bonus; it's a one-stop-shop including wide temperature, 24v power, din rail caseing. That said I'm not sure if Windows IoT will work on this device. I've read some forums that stated the onboard 4Gb flash is insufficient.

Regards, Eric
volker

Post by volker »

Yes, the 4GB is one problem. But to our knowledge MS needs to patch the kernel (just a very small change) to get it running on CM3. This has to our knowledge not yet been done.
On the other hand if you "just" want to get data on the Azure cloud: That can be done with our system. You do not care about the operating system. Data is sent by the same protocols as if it would be sent from a windows device. We are on the way to make such things very easy to our users: Once we have finished this part of sw you will not even need coding. You simply use the graphical configuration tool PiCtory to tell the cloud agent which data you want to push to the cloud and the rest of login data etc. We already have written the code for our KUNBUS cloud and the agent belonging to that cloud. We will write a similar piece of code for AWS and Azure. Meanwhile you could also use Node Red. As far as I'm informed there should be a node for pushing data to Azure. Node Red is part of the image we are delivering the RevPi Core with. Maybe user "Boris" from erminas does know more about that. They are using Azure as far as I know and they also work with Node Red. You could send him a PM and ask for information and help.

Post by 59985 »

Is there any update on running Windows Iot Core on CM3?. I have tried to install Windows on RevPi Core 3 and the installation seems to work ok. The problem is that it won't boot.
volker

Post by volker »

sorry, but currently we do not supporting Win10 on RevPi.
On Linux we do have an open source operating system which we could adopt and change in order to make real time patches and integrate our drivers in the Linux kernel.
Win IoT10 is a Microsoft product and as there is no source code nor the license to make the changes necessary to get a stable and small jitter. Raspi Foundation also states that there would be the need for a krenel change in WinIoT to get it even running (booting) on a CM3.
So as a resume: Currently you will have no chance getting WinIoT running on a CM3. And as I have heard that even MS is working with Linux for their future Azure IoT plans I would guess they have few or no interest in making the necessary changes to the kernel to make it running (booting) on a CM3.
The Rapsi Foundation does have excellent connections to MS. So if they are not able to make MS changing their mind, we won't be able too.

Please let me know which problems or SW you are planning to use which would need MS Win IoT as operating system and which could not be easily replaced by a Linux software. may be We could help you finding alternatives...