Is it possible to give Browser extra resources?

Topics about the Software of Revolution Pi
deutek
Answers: 0

Is it possible to give Browser extra resources?

Post by deutek »

Hi!

I am using the RevPi Core (Wheezy) to build an ANDON display for an Automobile customer.

The ANDON display is web based, and the requirement is to display a web page in kiosk mode. I installed Firefox browser (because Epiphany does not display the website right). However, the CPU monitor shows 100% usage, and the browser is very slow.

My question is: Is it any way in which I can give more resources to the browser so that it runs smoothly? Maybe I can uninstall something or some other steps?
Mathias
Answers: 0

Re: Is it possible to give Browser extra resources?

Post by Mathias »

Hi,
I guess you have a RevPi Core 1 with the single core processor. It is too slow and has not enough RAM to run firefox.
If you do not use piControl for I/O-modules (DIO, AIO)or a gateway, you could stop piControl. But I think it will not make a big difference.
For such an application you should use the RevPi Core 3 with a much faster processor and more RAM.
Mathias
volker
Answers: 1

Re: Is it possible to give Browser extra resources?

Post by volker »

Hi deutek,
generaly said every browser like firefox, chrome, etc. does put a heavy load on your system. I know that sound funny but please google for this problem and you will find that may Raspberry Pi 3 users do complain about their system getting a 100% load when running a browser. On the other hand this 100% load does not mean that the browser would show a bad responsiveness. Even movies are running often without any visible disruption. It seems that many web-programmers do use the ability of modern systems to distribute the load on many parallel threads driving the system into full load. So you could try to at least get rid of the basic load of our driver (PiControl) but I fear this will not solve your problem. If you want to get less system load you will need to use a much more simple browser - ending up in another problem: compatibility with comnplex websites. But if you are running your own server with websides you have desinged you might go this way and just leave out any fancy stuff like flash etc.
At least I can tell you that I have set up several systems running Webserver, PiControl, Node.Red and a browser on a single system and - with 100 % load - it worked out well.

Please also read my comments in the forum about what system load means and how to distinguish between different measurements. Sometimes people take the Raspberry "Load Count" as a measure which is often not very helpful. There are tons of websites discussing the difference between CPU load measures. At the end of the day it is important to you if your system does what it is supposed to do without running in a permanent overheat condition.
Unser RevPi Motto: Don't just claim it - make it!