Stability in the event of a power failure & flash access

Rund um die Hardware des Revolution Pi
BantaY

Stability in the event of a power failure & flash access

Post by BantaY »

Hello everyone,,

I am currently planning a somewhat larger project in which I would like to rely on the RevolutionPi. I understood that the Pi should be a mixture between IPC and PLC - so it is not a "real" PLC.
Unfortunately I have not yet been able to answer two questions and therefore hope to get information here:
# 1: How well does the Pi cope with power failures? How reliably does the Pi start after a power failure and resume operation? A PLC starts here without any ifs and buts. Can a Pi do that, or is the system / OS shot there?

# 2: From our own experience and from the environment, the flash cards give up surprisingly quickly due to the constant access to a (normal) Pi. What about the "life expectancy" with the installed eMMC?

Thank you very much for the information..
Last edited by BantaY on 18 Jan 2020, 09:41, edited 1 time in total.
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Re: Stability in the event of a power failure & flash access

Post by dirk »

Hi BantaY, those qustions are discusssed frequently. The eMMC is more reliable than a SD card. Also the ext4 filesystem is really tough. But to sum it up the eMMC has a life time. Therefore we implemented a feature that makes it possible to store logs on a read only overlay file system. Have a look on the "store logs on tmpfs" featrue on the WebStatus tutorial.
But another option to enhance the life time of the eMMC consists of using external USB storage or the cloud.