Compute Module 3

Topics about the Hardware of Revolution Pi
jpd-
Answers: 0

Compute Module 3

Post by jpd- »

The Compute Module 3 was just launched yesterday and in the announcement that they state that the new module is "largely" backwards compatible with the following caveats:
The CM3 is largely backwards-compatible with CM1 designs which have followed our design guidelines. The caveats are that the Module is 1mm taller than the original Module, and the processor core supply (VBAT) can draw significantly more current. Consequently, the processor itself will run much hotter under heavy CPU load, so designers need to consider thermals based on expected use cases.
Given this information, do you expect the RevPi to be compatible?
volker
Answers: 1

Re: Compute Module 3

Post by volker »

Hi,
we have got a test specimen from RPI org several weeks ago and could succsessfully set up our software on CM3. We are still in the process of testing this combination in out test laboratories as we need to be sure that the additional 1.5W power dissipation coop with our housing and the max. allowed ambient temp of 55°C. As soon as we will have finished these tests we will inform you in a newsletter about the options you will have.
Our new RevPi home series will definitely be based on CM3 and will be available this year.
Unser RevPi Motto: Don't just claim it - make it!
rvalo

Post by rvalo »

Hello Volker,

I'm a long-term industrial and home automation enthusiast, so I was very excited finding your presentation on the Web. The RevolutionPi is exactly the product I was dreaming about - bringing the power of Raspberry Pi to the industrial world and to the home automation. The original question from jpd was exactly the same, which came on my mind - there are a lot of potential use cases for home automation, where I would like to see the added memory and computing power of CM3 while being able to sacrifice the need of strict industrial specs compliance/certification. In that respect, your mention of RevPi Home series took my attention - could you please point me to more information (if available), or the estimated launch date?

Thanks a lot
Roman
volker

Post by volker »

Hi Roman,
we expect our R&D to have things ready in the first half of 2017. So the launch will be in second half, latest date will be the 2017 SPS/DRIVES fair in Nurnberg.
mvandis

Post by mvandis »

Hi Mr. Volker,

I've been speaking to you on the Hannover Messe (one of the Dutch Pilz guys),

We've got three Revolution Pi's V1.0 available in the Netherlands and we'd like to upgrade one of them to the new Compute 3 module.
Is there an option to swap the Compute module 1 for the Compute module 3? Does the internal power supply have enough power to supply the Broadcom BCM2837 of enough juice?

Will heat dissipation be an issue in the current housing? Will adding a heatsink be an option?

The Pi will only be used for internal testing, it would be a shame to have 3 V1.0 Revolution Pi's laying around and to buy new V3.0 versions :-)
mvandis

Post by mvandis »

Hi Mr. Volker! We've spoken on the Hannover Messe about the possibilities for the new Revolution Pi (as one of the Dutch Pilz guys).

We've got three Revolution Pi V1.0 lying around here and we considered upgrading to the Compute module V3.0.

Is it possible to upgrade the existing Revolution Pi V1.0 with the new Compute module V3.0?
Will the power supply in the Kunbus module have enough power to power the Broadcom BCM2837?

Will the heat dissipation be a problem? Do we need to apply a heatsink to the processor chip (will this fit inside the module?)

The modules will only be used for internal testing purposes :-)

I hope to hear from you soon!
volker

Post by volker »

Hi,
certainly it is possible to upgrade your RevPi by inserting a CM3 instead of CM1. We've discussed that in the German Forum and I even posted pictures of how to safely open the case (you may have experience doing so with other Pilz products). Power supply has lots of spare power to run the CM3. Heat dissipation is a big problem especially when running all 4 cores with full power. So please do use a heat sink. We are using 35x35 mm or even 40x40 mm and you get heat sinks of up to 6mm height into the case. Best performance can be reached by professionally applying 2k heat sink glue but some products with double sided adhesive heat sink mounting tape are working fine too. if you need further information please contact me by PM.
mvandis

Post by mvandis »

Thanks for your quick reply! We'll start experimenting soon :-) (Unfortunately the Compute module 3 is back-ordered at the moment at Farnell and RS-online)