overvoltage damage of DIO module, is there a fuse? can it be repaired?

Topics about the Hardware of Revolution Pi
mezz
Answers: 0

overvoltage damage of DIO module, is there a fuse? can it be repaired?

Post by mezz »

Hi,

a technician accidentally wired the output relays of a DIO module the wrong way and caused a 230 voltage to be applied to the GPIO pins of the DIO module.
Now the OUT led is red ( "No power supply to the outputs on the plug X2 or overloading." ).

is there a fuse that can be replaced or does the whole module need to be replaced? Is a repair worth the shipping costs?

Thank you, regards

Enrico Mezzato
volker
Answers: 1

Re: overvoltage damage of DIO module, is there a fuse? can it be repaired?

Post by volker »

I'm sorry but there is no way to repair this. The outputs and inputs are all 24 V and do withstand false wiring up to about 30 V. Outputs are NOT RELAYS! They are power MOSFET semiconductors. 230 V most likely have grilled the whole PCB and destroyed many parts of the device. If you know any fellow out there able to rework SMD circuits who is willing to invest some hours of parts replacement and measuring you could hand him the schematic which you can find in the download section and ask him do repair this. KUNBUS would simply replace this device as a repair would cost more than a new device.
By the way: A fuse which would need to allow currents of about 0.7 A could not securely protect the outputs against high voltage backward currents. this is one reason why we have not designed in re-settable or replaceable fuses for the outputs. They are short circuit protected but not against external voltages over 30 V.
Unser RevPi Motto: Don't just claim it - make it!
mezz
Answers: 0

Re: overvoltage damage of DIO module, is there a fuse? can it be repaired?

Post by mezz »

Hi Volker,

thank you for the prompt answer, I imagined the module would need replacing but it was a question out of "hope" since the inputs still work fine.
I'll try to open the case and double check with the schematics in case.

Enrico