DIO output transformation

Topics about the Hardware of Revolution Pi
SrKeating
Answers: 0

DIO output transformation

Post by SrKeating »

Good afternoon. I have working with a RevPi Core 3 and a DIO module. We have to control a DC engine which works with 5VdC, is there any way to transform the DIO output (currently working at 24 VdC) to the needed voltage?

Best regards.
volker
Answers: 1

Re: DIO output transformation

Post by volker »

Hi,
a simple way would be relays. What is the Wattage or the max. Current the moter will draw? I have connected a 5 V DC Motor to 4 DIO outputs switched to Push-pull-mode like a full bridge so I could even reverse the direction. I simpy used the PWM mode of the outputs to reduce the power delivered Most Motors will have no problem when they are faced with a higher voltage for a short time. So if you go at maximum to 20% on time of a 24 V PWM you might get an average power similar to connecting continuoulsy 5 V. I only added high current diodes in order to get a minimum protection and also a little voltage dropover the diodes.
My use case was a motor potentiometer for one of our exhibits we use at trade shows.
Unser RevPi Motto: Don't just claim it - make it!
SrKeating
Answers: 0

Post by SrKeating »

Thanks for your response Volker, we are doing the same example that you said. Do you think that we could use a npn transistor?
volker
Answers: 1

Post by volker »

No need to use a transistor. You can use our DIO outputs switched to push-pull and to PWM 20%. User 2 of them and connect the motor in between. Both to 0 or 1 will stop the motor, one to 1 and the other to 0 will turn it. That's all you need.
Unser RevPi Motto: Don't just claim it - make it!