RevPi Core 3 Storage space

Topics about the Hardware of Revolution Pi
ustc
Answers: 0

RevPi Core 3 Storage space

Post by ustc »

I have been installing some software I have created on a RevPi Core 3 and I am getting low on drive space. I am thinking about removing some packages such as the GUI and maybe Node-Red that we are not using to free some space. I wanted to see if you have any recommendations on how to free up some more drive space?

Thanks
lemariva

Re: RevPi Core 3 Storage space

Post by lemariva »

Hi there,
I had the same problem and I started with the raspbian-lite image and add the needed packages. It is easier to go this way, if you don't need the GUI (desktop) and you need some more free space like me. The imagebakery repository allows you to create a customized image. I forked the repository on https://github.com/lemariva/imagebakery and added some packages and configs needed with the raspbian-lite. I can confirm that It is working and with this image you get 2.3GB free space.
volker
Answers: 1

Post by volker »

Please be careful when using a different image from Raspi foundation: You would need to assure that our Kernel is still used because otherwise you loose all changes we have made to the kernel (RealTime patch etc.).
When we deliver the RevPi Core you have about 1 GB from 4 GB free eMMC. If you have much less then it might be that your system is suffering from huge log files. Have a look in the log directory ro scan your system for huge files. Maybe you can free lots of space by deleting these files.
Another possibility is the use of USB memory (we do have got very small sticks in our shop) or network disk space.
Unser RevPi Motto: Don't just claim it - make it!
ustc

Post by ustc »

Thank you for the suggestions I will check the log file directory.
jenskastensson

Post by jenskastensson »

Hi, we're using the RevPi3 core module only.

We will probably not use TeamViewer.

Can you suggest some safe commands to free up disk space based on this use case?

So far I've only dared to use apt-get autoremove / autoclean
Kindly
volker
Answers: 1

Post by volker »

This is far too few information to suggest things. What specifically are you going to use? Webapplications? Webserver? Node-Red? Python? x-windows? How will you use the pure Core?
Unser RevPi Motto: Don't just claim it - make it!
Srdjan

Post by Srdjan »

Hi,

I also need some instruction for free up disk space, please?
I use RevPi Core and Python within Thonny IDE and I am running out of memory because /dev/root is used 100%.

I could not do anything, after logging in, system returns me back to login prompt and I can't perform sudo-update as well.
Can you give me some piece of advice how to proceed and not to lose some essential things?

Many thanks in advance
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Post by dirk »

Hi Srdjan, I know this problem only too well and have often encountered it myself. There is a remedy in the form of our Light Images, which you can download here:
https://revolutionpi.com/tutorials/down ... evpiimages

You can use the Revolution Pi checklist, created with great attention to detail, to reflash your system.
https://kunbus-gmbh.atlassian.net/servi ... /836468748
Srdjan

Post by Srdjan »

Thanks for this,

Unfortunately, I could not follow these instructions because RPi Boot does not search for my RevPi.
I typed "sudo raspi-config" and tried to set everything up there.. but after reboot I did not make it to start RPi Boot.

Can you help me somehow to overcome this, so I can choose the option from my USB and proceed with new image creation ?

Thanks
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Post by dirk »

Hi Srdjan, take a look at the video image there it becomes clear
https://revolutionpi.com/tutorials/video-tutorials#VT1