Revolution Pi Selection

Topics about the Hardware of Revolution Pi
rishadahmed
Answers: 0

Revolution Pi Selection

Post by rishadahmed »

Hi
I have two requirements in my upcoming projects for Revolution Pi.

First Requirement:
I am using Siemens S7-1500 PLC for a pump test-bench. I need to pull this data to a cloud. I prefer either S7connection/Profinet/Modbus communication between PLC and RevPi. From there I will be sending the data to Azure cloud using MQTT protocol. I prefer node-red for programming. So which module is suitable for this case. all the signals are connected to PLC and we just need to send some calculated values to Rev Pi IOT gateway. I prefer two ethernet ports.

Second requirement:
I have a requirement to connect 10 Analog inputs to Revolution Pi, which is a mixture of 4-20mA and 0-10V. I need to do some internal calculations inside RevPI for this Analog signals (Average, flow calculations etc). I also prefer data logging and Mini-HMI to view these datas on shop-floor. Which all controller and IO module I will have to choose. Is there any software required for all my purposes.
nicolaiB
KUNBUS
Answers: 7

Re: Revolution Pi Selection

Post by nicolaiB »

Hi rishadahmed,

I think the best base module for your project is the RevPi Connect, which has 2 Ethernet ports and can be extended with up to 5 extension modules. For the analog inputs you can use the AIO modules (4 inputs, 4-20 mA / 0-10 V) or the new MIO module (8 inputs, 0-10 V). As you already have noticed are there a few options to connect the Siemens PLC. I often use the modular fieldbus gateways (Profinet or Profibus - depends on the environment) for this and can't complain.

For the HMI you can connect a screen to your RevPi and for example run the NodeRed dashboard on it. For using NodeRed on the RevPi you don't have to buy any additional software. With the current buster image it is already preinstalled.

BR Nicolai
rishadahmed
Answers: 0

Post by rishadahmed »

Thank you nicolaiB

It was helpful. In addition to that I have one more query. Is there an option in any of RevPi model to insert SIM card in it. My system may come in area with limited wifi and internet access.
nicolaiB
KUNBUS
Answers: 7

Post by nicolaiB »

Hi rishadahmed,

I'm afraid there is no WWAN ready RevPi or extension module, yet. As far as I know this is on the (future) roadmap, but without any date. My suggestion would be to use an industrial Router like the Teltonika RUT950 or if space is a criteria the RUT240.

Nicolai