UPS sizing

Topics about the Hardware of Revolution Pi
mirko.comparetti
Answers: 0

UPS sizing

Post by mirko.comparetti »

Hello,
Does anybody have experience with UPS or supercapacity to run the revpi?
We have a revpi that is connected through ethercat with some IOs and it is running codesys: we do not need to keep the IOs up during the shutdown, so no power consumtion from there. What we need is a proper shutdown as we have some persistent variables in codesys, which are automatically saved when the codesys process is properly terminated.
What is the power consumption of the revpi itself? The only USB peripheral we have is a usb dongle for the codesys license, so it should not drain a lot of power from the USB.

We found some super capacitor which do not require any maintenance but their output at 1A is only for 5s, which I'm not sure it's enough for a proper shutdown, is that true? What are your experiences on that?

Best,
Mirko
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Re: UPS sizing

Post by dirk »

Hi reagarding the power consumption you just have a look at the datasheet of the Module or measure it.
https://revolution.kunbus.com/tutorials ... rect=en_US
The super capacitor just buffers the RTC max. 24 hours.
mirko.comparetti
Answers: 0

Re: UPS sizing

Post by mirko.comparetti »

dirk wrote: 13 Nov 2020, 15:42 Hi reagarding the power consumption you just have a look at the datasheet of the Module or measure it.
https://revolution.kunbus.com/tutorials ... rect=en_US
The super capacitor just buffers the RTC max. 24 hours.
Hello,
The supercapacitor I'm referring is an external one that can do the UPS functionality, not the internal one.
The flyer states 20W of max power requirements... what I'm asking is if anyone ever tried measuring it and if anyone successfully tried to switch off the device in less than 5s.

Thanks