RevPi Connect x4 - Pin 3? Ground or Danger?

Topics about the Hardware of Revolution Pi
greggilesgr36
Answers: 0

RevPi Connect x4 - Pin 3? Ground or Danger?

Post by greggilesgr36 »

I have about 30 devices deployed in the field and have suffered a few failures, where devices either have strange ethernet issues, or in some cases won't power on. Running on what I think is a robust and clean 24VDC power source.

Looking for anything we've done wrong, upon re-investigation of documentation, here: https://revolution.kunbus.com/tutorials ... n-connect/

It shows a ground symbol on pin 3 of X4, but in the text states "DO NOT CONNECT!"

It appears that several of my devices are indeed wired with ground to pin 3.
  • Could this be an issue?
  • Which is correct? Markings on device
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Re: RevPi Connect x4 - Pin 3? Ground or Danger?

Post by dirk »

Hi greggilesgr36, can you check if your RevPi Connect devices have four or eight pins on the X4 connector? There are two hardware versions available. You can also check the QR codes on the front bottom left. The last number is 1.1 or 1.0.
We need to extend the documentation to include these two variants. Please check the Watchdog wire jumper. The RevPi Connect devices are equipped with a watchdog timer, which is activated when this bridge is removed. This could explain your described behaviour but does not necessarily mean that this is the cause.https://revolution.kunbus.com/tutorials ... g-connect/
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Post by dirk »

Hi
It shows a ground symbol on pin 3 of X4, but in the text states "DO NOT CONNECT!"
- this is unfortunately misleading currently. We have to update the documentation here.
Pin 3 is connected to functional earth. So you must not use it otherwise.
greggilesgr36
Answers: 0

Post by greggilesgr36 »

@dirk - Thanks for the response ... I didn't notice until today, when we had another failure in the field

This board shows NO LIGHTS in the upper left (No PWR, A1 or A2)
WD, REL lights appear to be Green
A3 light appears to be Amber

We found that we have 1.0 version boards.
We have installed these with only 3 external wires connected:
  • Pin 1 - 24VDC connected
  • Pin 2 - 0VDC
  • Pin 3 - Earth GND
  • Pin 4 - connected to 8 w/ factory installed jumper (not externally connected to GND)
  • Pin 5 - connected to 1 w/ factory installed jumper (not externally connected to GND)
  • Pin 6 - Connected via Jumpers to Pin 2 & Pin 7
  • Pin 7 - Connected via Jumper to Pin 6
  • Pin 8 - connected to 4 w/ factory installed jumper (not externally connected to GND)
Do you think this could be caused because we have GND not wired to Pins 4 and 8?