RevPi push-in terminals

Topics about the Hardware of Revolution Pi
jeffkinder
Answers: 0

RevPi push-in terminals

Post by jeffkinder »

Hello,

We seem to be having a lot of issues in the field as a result of the push-in style terminals used on the RevPi modules. These terminals are not common in our part of the world. Is there a particular ferrule you would recommend using with these?
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Re: RevPi push-in terminals

Post by dirk »

Hi jeffkinder, you are speaking about this article?
https://revolution.kunbus.de/shop/en/pc ... or-14-pole

The ferrules should be longer, that's right.
Use a crimping tool that enables round instead of square wire end sleeves.
Perhaps we can clarify whether there are also alternative plugs here that cannot be clamped but screwed on.
jeffkinder

Post by jeffkinder »

Hello yes, that is the terminal I am referencing. What is the part number of the ferrules that you use? I ask because I will need to most likely special order them.
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Post by dirk »

Hi thank you for your patience. Similar plugs can be ordered from Phoenix Contact article number 1741047.
VdH

Post by VdH »

Hi Jeff,
please note that these connectors are not really "push in" types. Depending on your wire/sleeve gauge you need to press down the release lever to get the wire in. Please also note the following important notes:
1) The insert length needs to be at least 10mm. Therefore 8mm sleeves will slip out again (they do not get caught by the spring)
2) Best praxis is to use 22 AGW / 0.5 mm² wire and the (white) sleeves to be used with 0.5 mm² with a metal part length of 10-12 mm. This combination will slide in as "push-in" without pressing the release lever.
3) To get the most reliable connection where wires will not come off even when you press the lever, use crimping tool which produces circular impressions (most square crimpers do so)
4) To get connections which can be easily disconnected by pressing the release lever you should NOT use tools producing circular impressions (which get caught by the internal spring) but use those round type crimpers which do make a longitudinal impression ("crescent/sickle" type).
When you stick to these rules you will find that these connectors are really easy to handle. But when you use thicker wire / sleeves you will experience lots of trouble up to hand injuries or scratched RevPi when slipping off from the release lever with a screwdriver.
Hope that helps, good luck
Volker.
jeffkinder

Post by jeffkinder »

I just wanted to let you know that we have sourced the proper tools and crimps based on your feedback and this has made a huge difference.