Changing pictory configuration (location)

Topics about the Hardware of Revolution Pi
RMeissnerCC
Answers: 0

Changing pictory configuration (location)

Post by RMeissnerCC »

Dear all,
we like to use piCtory etc., but it is beginning to become tedious because we have to enter a lot of variables (reading modbus), which could potentially change.
Thus we are thinking about writing directly to the file which pictory creates. As far as I understand it, the file is placed in "/var/www/pictory/projects/_config.rsc" and there is a link to it from "/etc/revpi/config.rsc".
Is the hardware reading its information directly from this _config.rsc or from the "/etc/revpi/config.rsc"? Could the link be changed to another place, at which that configuration file is placed?
Best, Robert
lukas
Expert

Re: Changing pictory configuration (location)

Post by lukas »

PiCtory (the GUI) reads and writes "/var/www/pictory/projects/_config.rsc".

piControl (the kernel module responsible for data exchange with I/O modules and gateways) reads from "/etc/revpi/config.rsc", see the source code.

It's perfectly fine to replace the former behind PiCtory's back as long as it contains well-formed JSON data which can later be read with PiCtory again and which can be parsed by piControl.

If you change the symlink "/etc/revpi/config.rsc" such that it points elsewhere that's fine as well, piControl will just read the file from the new location.
RMeissnerCC

Re: Changing pictory configuration (location)

Post by RMeissnerCC »

Good morning lukas,
perfect. That sounds alright.

Do you have an overview or tests for this configuration? I would like to change some parts of the configuration automatically, e.g., ModbusMaster settings and would like to be sure before loading that on the revpi that the configuration is valid.
Best, Robert