FPGA I/O module

Topics about the Hardware of Revolution Pi
krzysztof.kolek
Answers: 0

FPGA I/O module

Post by krzysztof.kolek »

Do you offer a digital I/O module equipped with an FPGA (or at least CPLD - Xilinx products preferable)? We need to access an untypical combination of digital I/Os (fast encoders, PWMs and duty cycle measurement units) and an FPGA is necessary in this case. Or do you offer documentation on how to develop a new I/O module compatible with RevPi Core units?
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Re: FPGA I/O module

Post by dirk »

Hi krzysztof.kolek we encourace everyone to build own modules for the RevPi. Have a look at the schematics at the downloads section and the Git HUB repository IODeviceExample for a sample IO Module code.
RR4711

Post by RR4711 »

I made such a board embedding a Cyclone 4 Development Board. It is supposed to communicate via SPi with my RevPi Connect (via the CON connector, not the Pi Bridge). I'm in the 2nd HW revision but in principle it works. It's Altera/Intel though.
photo_2020-02-17_12-34-57.jpg
photo_2020-02-17_12-34-57.jpg (292.33 KiB) Viewed 4195 times
lukas
Expert

Post by lukas »

@RR4711:

Nice work. You may want to take a look at this thread for a few hints on how to amend the devicetree for your SPI slave. You seem to be using the PiBridge maker-set (judging by the shape of the THT socket). Please note that the PiBridge uses different sockets and plugs than the ConBridge. A ConBridge maker-set can be ordered from our sales department.
RR4711

Post by RR4711 »

lukas wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 15:46 @RR4711:

Nice work. You may want to take a look at this thread for a few hints on how to amend the devicetree for your SPI slave.
That part works already. Thanks anyhow.
You seem to be using the PiBridge maker-set (judging by the shape of the THT socket). Please note that the PiBridge uses different sockets and plugs than the ConBridge. A ConBridge maker-set can be ordered from our sales department.
That was back then when the ConBridge Maker Set was not available and only vaguely planned. I didn't expect it to be double size as the current one is now. So I asked sales back then for a few samples of the Con Bridge connector which they thankfully sent me and used the normal "Maker Set" with the proper connector for the "CON" Bus.

It would be great if these connectors could be offered in the shop as single part. Because not everyone needs the "big" housing of the Con Maker Set (or has the space in the application like I have). And AFAIK the connector is the only difference so if that would be purchasable it gives flexibility which housing size one could use.

Markus