Revolution Pi PCB contour and drill issues? (Maker Kit)

Topics about the Hardware of Revolution Pi
RR4711
Answers: 0

Revolution Pi PCB contour and drill issues? (Maker Kit)

Post by RR4711 »

I was importing the DXF File provided in the download section https://revolution.kunbus.de/download/1808/ into our PCB CAD System. I used two different ways of doing so, but I get consistent problems with the outer contour of the PCB having discontinuities. (marked in the screenshot)

It looks like that the part were the bus connector is located is somewhat shifted by a fraction of a millimeter. Maybe it is some rounding errors (the rest looks fine though, so I doubt it), but it leads to a non-continues outline and my PCB manufacturer will refuse to mill the contour with those broken outline data.
PCB Contour Issues.png
PCB Contour Issues.png (34.03 KiB) Viewed 3919 times
Also I noticed the holes that fixate the PCB in the housing in these plastic pins are totally off in respect to diameter. I measure something in the ballpark of 2.3 to 2.4mm drill would be adequate but in the file it's AFAIR around 1.8mm? (In the Screenshot I made them 2.4, in the original DXF they are way smaller)

Can someone re-check this and maybe update the DXF once more please? There is a comment made here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=139 that the DXF was already modified but to me it looks still not 100% accurate. Maybe also suggestions on drill diameters for the connectors can be added (I measured them already, just since the drawing needs to be touched anyhow it may be of help for other people).

And can someone enlighten me what the red marked hole is used for? It sits somewhere in the lower part of the orange front cover but I cannot find any matching pin in the plastic housing so I was wondering if that is really needed?

Otherwise the Makerkit looks really cool and I'm looking forward for my first custom module!

Markus
RR4711

Re: Revolution Pi PCB contour and drill issues? (Maker Kit)

Post by RR4711 »

I just took an AIN module apart because I'm curious and it looks like the PCB is 1mm thick instead of 1.6mm and the status LEDs are actually mounted on top of the PCB and illuminate the light guides in the front cover through a hole in the PCB. Is it done for cost reason with the 1mm PCB or would a 1.6mm PCB fit as well? If only 1mm is possible this should be noted on the DXF as well. And the mysterious hole is also on the AIN module. Maybe for production test or something?

Markus
RR4711

Post by RR4711 »

Is there any update on the issues?
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Post by dirk »

Dear Markus, here are some outputs from our hardware team. There are two kinds of devides DIO (Large) and AIO (Small). The measures of the important drill holes are available and the optional drill holes are left away in this pictures. I hope that this will help you. Currently the redesign of our 3d files will take some time. Thank you for your patience.
Small
Small
2019-08-08 14_26_53-REVPI_SMALL_B.pdf - Foxit Reader.jpg (37.87 KiB) Viewed 3724 times
Large
Large
2019-08-08 14_27_39-RevPI_Breit_B.pdf - Foxit Reader.jpg (46 KiB) Viewed 3724 times
RR4711

Post by RR4711 »

Thanks for the follow up!
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Post by dirk »

Hi, there are news about your request for 3D data.

In the download area under "Revolution Pi STEP files" you can find new data for the modules:

RevPi Compact
RevPi Connect
RevPi Core
RevPi DIO

https://revolution.kunbus.de/tutorials/downloads/