How con I drive a RGB strip led with RevPi?

Topics about the Hardware of Revolution Pi
Nicco
Answers: 0

How con I drive a RGB strip led with RevPi?

Post by Nicco »

Hello everyone,
I'm new of the forum, and I've search in the many topics without found a solution for my problem, that I try to ask at all members.

I have to drive a RGB strip led (like WS2812 NeoPixel), I've found a tutorial that use GPIO18 of a Raspberry to drive the strip led (https://tutorials-raspberrypi.com/conne ... ed-strips/).
I would like to know if it is possible to report an output of the raspberry (GPIO18) on the RevPi DIO module and use it to drive my led strip? otherwise is there a pin on the PiBridge to do that?
Another question: I can use the SPI interface in the PiBridge for drive a custom hardware?

My hardware is composed of a RevPi core 3 + RevPi DIO

Thanks
Nicco.
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Re: How con I drive a RGB strip led with RevPi?

Post by dirk »

Hi Nicco, the RevPi is not the same as the RasPi so there are no GPIOs directly accessible. There is the process image where you are able to switch I/Os. Have a look at the tutorials here:
https://revolution.kunbus.com/tutorials ... rect=en_US
zhan

Post by zhan »

Hi Nicco,

if want to use SPI, you have to use Revolution PI Connect.
this thread is quite relevant to your question about SPI:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1384&p=5416

Regards,
Simon
Simon
Infinew

Post by Infinew »

So, did you manage to do that? My brother wants to do a similar thing in his new house, and I wonder if it’s possible at all. I am not a professional, and I can’t be sure about what will come out of it. The whole idea looks unreliable, but I might be wrong. The only LEDs that I know more about are car lights that I installed about a year ago. They look super cool in my car, and that’s why my brother wants to install strip lights in his house too. He especially likes the music synchronization function because he is a fan of parties and even tries to be a little DJ.
p.rosenberger
KUNBUS
Answers: 1

Post by p.rosenberger »

Hi Infinew,

it is not possible to control any WS2811 or alike with the revpi. The WS2811 and alike need to be connected to an IO which can provide a lower latency as we can provide. The only way to do something like this with an RevPi would be with LEDs which support SPI and with the RevPi Connect.

Best regards,
Philipp