ComputeModule 3+ DIY upgrade possible?

Topics about the Hardware of Revolution Pi
AyKay
Answers: 0

ComputeModule 3+ DIY upgrade possible?

Post by AyKay »

I have run out of space to install some scientific packages (SciPy, etc) that I need for a RevPi project. Would it be possible to upgrade the current 4GB ComputeModule with the new 32GB ComputeModule 3+ by just swapping the modules and installing the RevPi image?
Thanks in advance for a reply.
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Re: ComputeModule 3+ DIY upgrade possible?

Post by dirk »

Dear AyKay, technically yes, but the warranty expires if you open the case. And it is only possible with the RevPi Connect Modules. as the RevPi Core Modules the CMs are glued.
Alternatively you could wait until we will have the 32Gb version RevPi Core+ ready.
Or you could use an USB stick.
AyKay

Post by AyKay »

Thanks for your response Dirk. I will wait for the release of the official RevPi CM3+ module.
In the meantine I am have moved rootfs to a partition on a 64GB USB stick. For anyone else having the same problem, here is the link to how to move rootfs:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 43773e4630
P.S. Please don't use an SSD unless you are using a USB-SATA adapter that has been confirmed to be completely compatible with the Raspberry Pi. I wasted many days trying to figure out why I couldn't write to the SSD before I fould out that the problem was the USB-SATA adapter.
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Post by dirk »

Dear AyKay thank you for your positive feedback. Maybe this tutorial can help other community members too.
RR4711

Post by RR4711 »

dirk wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 18:26 Alternatively you could wait until we will have the 32Gb version RevPi Core+ ready.
That would be roughly when? We have the same issue here, 4GB really doesn't cut the mustard anymore.

Markus
pi_admin
Administrator
Answers: 1

Post by pi_admin »

RR4711 wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 16:21
dirk wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 18:26 Alternatively you could wait until we will have the 32Gb version RevPi Core+ ready.
That would be roughly when? We have the same issue here, 4GB really doesn't cut the mustard anymore.

Markus
*Spoiler*
The RevPi Core+ modules are actually more or less ready for sale, but we have still one matter to clarify: We are currently in talks with UL regarding the need of a possible recertification of the RevPi Core 3+ for UL listing. We`re hoping that we don't have to start another full certification process for the Core 3+, 'cause that would definitely slow things down. We hope to get a positive feedback from UL shortly. After that, we are good to go.

Sorry that we can`t give you a specific date today.
RR4711

Post by RR4711 »

Sounds good. Keep us posted!