Confusion regarding what and where modules can be connected

Topics about the Hardware of Revolution Pi
odd
Answers: 0

Confusion regarding what and where modules can be connected

Post by odd »

When examining the pages for information about how to connect different modules, I get some answers that contradict eachother.

Examples:
https://revolution.kunbus.com/tutorials ... i-modules/
The following add-ons can be connected to your RevPi Core using PiBridge:

up to 10 expansion modules (e.g. our I/O modules) or
up to 2 RevPi Gate modules.
Which I intrepret as I can have either 10 expansion modules OR 2 RevPi Gate at the same time. That means that I can not have for example one expansion module and one RevPi Gate module at the same time. Is this correct?
But just beneath this, an note is issued:
RevPi Gate modules may only be positioned at the end of a chain, therefore to the far left or to the far right. It you place them in the middle of the chain, module recognition will not function properly and the system will not start up after being turned on but go into error status.
Which can be interpreted as you can connect both module types at the same time!

This is confusing!

I think there should be a better way to illustrate what combinations that are allowed for which products and placements. It seems to be fine to connect Gateways on either side of core and core 3 modules, as long they are mostoutwards, but not on Connect, there it seems that it is only allowed to connect gateways on right side and other modules on left side (front view perpective). Is this correct?

/Odd
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Re: Confusion regarding what and where modules can be connected

Post by dirk »

Hi you are right, this is confusing and we'll rewrite it. You may connect to the PiBridge
RevPi Core
  • up to 10 IO modules
  • up to 2 PiGate modules together with 8 IO modules
RevPi Connect
  • up to 5 IO modules
  • up to 1 PiGate module together with 4 IO modules