Car battery through X2 DO?

Topics about the Hardware of Revolution Pi
volker
Answers: 1

Re: Car battery through X2 DO?

Post by volker »

OK,
you've correctly configured everything. Your control lights are red although you've connected a 12 V Car battery the right way.
When you started this topic you said:
I started with a 12V car battery and some car lights,
Now you say:
The highest I've ever observed it at was around 30V, as the battery itself fluctuates.
This can't be an isolated car battery because 12 V lead batteries could never ever have a higher voltage than 14 to 15 V (this is what is called their final load voltage). The only way to get 30 V would be to hook your system to a battery connected to a car generator with defect regulator.
However: If you connected 30 V to the supply voltage terminals you have killed your DIO. It is specified for 12 V (-15%) up to 24 V +20% max. which would be 28.8 V. This would also explain the continuous red lights.
I fear your output ICs or the output voltage reguilator is damaged. Electrical equipment always needs to have power specifications printed on the case. Reading this information and keeping the supply voltage in the specified limits is essential to keep your equipment alive.
Unser RevPi Motto: Don't just claim it - make it!
Kiobod
Answers: 0

Post by Kiobod »

Okay, so assuming that I have somehow fried the thing, is there some way to check it against what should be observable in an unfried DIO? Honestly, I don't trust my own power of observation all that much on the 30V thing, it is a new 12V battery, and usually provides somewhere in the range of 12V. I am still getting used to using a multimeter again.

As I don't know what the norm is for the DIO, it is hard for me to know if I have fried it or if I am merely using it incorrectly. Again, I sincerely doubt its being unusable, but I suppose it is possible, though I somewhat doubt that my car battery has caused that. Nowhere in the documentation does it talk about the pins being always wired on, (a behavior exhibited before I ever wired the car battery) is that behavior indicative of overvoltage damage or of normal behavior? I would assume there to be a fuse which would break and cause rather nothing to go out the DO pins upon overvoltage.

At this point, I understand there is a likely natural departure in our conversation, as my DIO is beyond expected behavior and it would be impossible for you to troubleshoot everything relating to this particular case.

I have yet to see this DIO exhibit "normal" behavior, and I believe that I have never exposed it to anything other than my 24V power transformer, my 12V car battery and subsequent smaller batteries as discussed. The only faulty wiring of which I may be accused was during the period of time in which I was wiring it according to the incorrect schema on the website, though in all likelihood an uncompleted circuit with only a single live wire should not have been able to cause much damage? As such, if it is broken, I am rather inclined to think it broken on arrival, and therefore inclined to ask for a replacement DIO. I interpret your terms and conditions to mean that you do not provide any particular warranties beyond a two-week shipping period (expired last week). If that is not the case, please let me know. I recognize that you have in all likelihood decent ground for denying my request. I would only add that our firm is currently investigating your project to see if we may rely on it for use in current and future projects, that we are excited about your product but have concerns about robustness, and the availability of English language support. The latter, I am glad to see, though it may be lacking in static documentation, has more than been made up by your availability and willingness to assist.

Cheers,
Kiobod
volker
Answers: 1

Post by volker »

Hi Kiobod,
Let me please summarize the normal operation and the robustness of the device:
1) If you wire it according to what we have discussed and what is printed on the device (and as far as I can interpret your picture as you have done it) and if you configure it in PiCtory the way you have done and the way it is explained in the tutorial then
a) when you turn on the power the red "power" LED should flash with 1 Hz interval for about 20 seconds (LED OUT and LED IN being off) and then all 3 LED on the DIO should turn green for 24 V supplies. For 12 V supply the Power and OUT should turn green whereas the IN should start flashing red signalling an under-voltage condition.
b) If you enter piTest -d on the linux command line you should get the RevPi DIO device listed as "Module is present".
c) Assuming that you have not changed the defaults of the DIO configuration (push-pull = 0, PWM=0, names unchanged) any actuator with operating voltage of the connected OUT power supply should be turned ON when wired to "O1" and minus (=GND) of OUT power supply as soon as you enter "piTest -w O_1,1"
d) Assuming that you have not changed the defaults of the DIO configuration (push-pull = 0, PWM=0, names unchanged) any actuator with operating voltage of the connected OUT power supply should be turned OFF when wired to "O1" and minus (=GND) of OUT power supply as soon as you enter "piTest -w O_1,0"

2) If you use any voltage up to the level of 28.8 V at any of the power supply terminals at any constellation (not wiring all terminals, mismatching minus and plus, etc.) there might result temporary malfunctions but NEVER EVER this can destroy the device. The power supply is the most robust part of the device and tested according EN61131 with high energy levels of surges and bursts. The protection against surges and bursts (short high voltages / currents resulting of lightning strikes etc.) will prevent damage for short events only. If you permanently (for many seconds) connect a low impedance voltage source of more than 28.8 V to the 24 V "O" terminal you may destroy the input power regulator and even more likely the surge protection circuit. This would result in a permanent red LED OUT. Industrial robustness is designed for typical industrial environment events like high energy bursts and surges which are never long time events. Whereas automotive protection is designed for faulty handling of workshop personal, in industrial environment use of cabinets with standard industrial power supplies and correct handling by installation personal is assumed.

Is there any specific reason why you have not used a standard 24 V industrial power supply and standard industrial 24 V signal lamps for testing the device? And how do you want to get a complete system to series level when not using standard equipment which will be used in series to test the system?
please check your PM for further suggestions.
Unser RevPi Motto: Don't just claim it - make it!
hazelharis
Answers: 0

Post by hazelharis »

his can't be an isolated car battery because 12 V lead batteries could never ever have a higher voltage than 14 to 15 V..