What if pin 3 of the X4 connector of a DIO has been erroneously connected to ground?

Topics about the Hardware of Revolution Pi
Daniele.tampieri
Answers: 0

What if pin 3 of the X4 connector of a DIO has been erroneously connected to ground?

Post by Daniele.tampieri »

I am well aware that, as advised by this manual web page, pin 3 of the X4 connector of the DIO should be left unconnected: however our electrician has employed a new person who does not know well the electrical schematics of the electrical cabinet where we mount a RevPi Connect+DIO pack, so they have hardwired pin3 to ground. We powered up the system without first checking their work and now the RevPi shows instabilities, resetting after a few seconds of correct working: what is happened? Is this damaged recoverable?
Daniele Tampieri
->Johannes<-

Re: What if pin 3 of the X4 connector of a DIO has been erroneously connected to ground?

Post by ->Johannes<- »

Hi Daniele,

for better understanding:

X4:1 connected to 24 V
X4:2 unconnected
X4:3 connected to Ground
X4:4 connected to FE

Right?

Best regards
Johannes
Daniele.tampieri

Re: What if pin 3 of the X4 connector of a DIO has been erroneously connected to ground?

->Johannes<- wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 15:33 Hi Daniele,
Hi Johannes, and first of all thanks for your help.
->Johannes<- wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 15:33 for better understanding:

X4:2 unconnected

Right?
No, the sequence was

X4:2 connected to Ground

The new electrician found unusual that pin 3 was left floating, thus he joined this pin to pin 2 with a short ferruled wire.

Best Regards
Daniele
Daniele Tampieri
->Johannes<-

Post by ->Johannes<- »

Hi Daniele,

I had a conversation with our hardware team.
You should not expect any damage in your described case.

Resetting after few seconds? Maybe 60 seconds? Maybe you mean the Watchdog?
Watchdog

Best regards
Johannes
Daniele.tampieri

Hi Johannes,
->Johannes<- wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 08:30 I had a conversation with our hardware team.
You should not expect any damage in your described case.

Resetting after few seconds? Maybe 60 seconds? Maybe you mean the Watchdog?
Watchdog
After your Iatest message, I checked and I found that you're right: the connector change in the latest RevPi Connect fooled us so that the new electrician moved the X4 connector with WD jumper connection on the DIO erroneously. I switched the two connectors and the system now works perfectly.

Thank you very much for your help and best regards
Daniele Tampieri
->Johannes<-

Post by ->Johannes<- »

Hi Daniele,

Good to hear it wasn't a big problem in the end.
:)

Best regards
Johannes
greggilesgr36

Post by greggilesgr36 »

I just updated a post I made about 6 months ago, and wanted to tag this one too.
We connected Earth Ground to (3) on v. 1.0 rev-Pi connect boards, and have been seeing intermittent failures in the field.

This most recent board shows NO LIGHTS in the upper left (No PWR, A1 or A2)
WD, REL lights appear to be Green
A3 light appears to be Amber

We found that we have 1.0 version boards.
We have installed these with only 3 external wires connected:
* Pin 1 - 24VDC connected
* Pin 2 - 0VDC
* Pin 3 - Earth GND
* Pin 4 - connected to 8 w/ factory installed jumper (not externally connected to GND)
* Pin 5 - connected to 1 w/ factory installed jumper (not externally connected to GND)
* Pin 6 - Connected via Jumpers to Pin 2 & Pin 7
* Pin 7 - Connected via Jumper to Pin 6
* Pin 8 - connected to 4 w/ factory installed jumper (not externally connected to GND)

Do you think this could be caused because we have GND not wired to Pins 4 and 8?