Home Automation Software

Show the world your Revolution Pi project!
luigi.candita
Answers: 0

Home Automation Software

Post by luigi.candita »

Hi at all

I found this product on Hacker News and it's AWESOME! In the past I develop a Grails application for home automation system based on Raspberry3 and with external Industrial PLC. I communicate with the PLC with MODBUS over TCP. Now with this Revolution PI core I have an all in one vendor solution and it's fantastic. I develop this software alone and I want to improve it with the support of the community, making this as open source software. Before this I want to understand if there are people that support this project.

Actually the software is:
- Grails Application (3.2.4) (H2 database)
- Web UI with Dashboard screen, customizable button (switch, up-down) with websocket integration to manage the status, Scenario editor (group button), Scheduler for scenario, Plant upload image with drag and drop switches.
- Communicate with the external PLC with Modbus over TCP (java wrapper for libmodbus)

I want to buy immediatelly a Revolution Pi Core 3 and replace the necessary to interoperate with it.

If anyone is interested, I'm here! (I need to refactor code with translations (italian->english) and clean some stuff)

Saluti
Luigi Candita
https://www.linkedin.com/in/luigicandita/
Cattura.PNG
Cattura.PNG (36.25 KiB) Viewed 8670 times
Cattura2.PNG
Cattura2.PNG (24 KiB) Viewed 8670 times
Cattura3.PNG
Cattura3.PNG (35.22 KiB) Viewed 8670 times
volker
Answers: 1

Re: Home Automation Software

Post by volker »

Hi Luigi,
great to hear from you and your project. I can't speak for the commubnity but I want to assure you that KUNBUS likes whta you are planning to do and we will support your project with every information you need. Please do not hesitate to ask us.
You may be happy to hear about the TeamViewer possibilities which have been demonstrated at Hannover Fair: Every output of the appache server fo the RevPi Core can be viewd by TeamViewer using their sagent running on the Core. So your GUI can be reached over the internet from all over the world using the secure TeamViewer connection. No worries with firewalls because the device itself builds up the connection from inside the LAN using standard ports. The beta version will be freee of charge and there will be free offers for private usage...
We are looking forward to learn more about your application! Please subscribe for the newsletter to get information about CM3 release as early as possible.
Saluti
Volker.
Unser RevPi Motto: Don't just claim it - make it!
Boris Crismancich
KUNBUS

Post by Boris Crismancich »

Hi Luigi,

your Solution sounds very interesting. I don't have the resources to join or back the project, but maybe I can help with a couple of insights I gained while working for large software companies.

The number of home automation solutions is increasing every day. That's why I believe it is crucial to have a unique selling proposition (even if it's open source). Why would people prefer Genyhome over other solutions? Do you have a specific target audience? Is it for private use or for companies? Does it have special features that fit their needs? (Design Thinking / User Centered Design) I believe that security is a strong point for open source solutions. The most important one would of course be usability. The solution should be self explaining and bringing the stuf to work should be possible with a few steps. Cool solutions like Jira suffer from the fact that they were not designed for mobile devices. Atlassian created a mobile version but still it lacks the functionality of the big web version. This is why I would prefer the mobile attempt. Build a web interface that works on mobile AND large screens. I guess no one would like to find the smart phone, unlock it, open the app, chose the function to turn on a light or something. Don't create things that are nice to play with but in the end not useful. Sounds trivial, but sometimes is a huge point. Internationalization: I often see german, italian and french applications with language specific variables or field names. When starting a software, always use english and use some translation feature from the beginning. Everywhere. Especially when the community should code in it. Here's a cool video on all the stuff that can drive you mad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j74jcxSunY. The third thing is interoperability. Many people might want to use their IFTTT, Alexa, whatever with the solution. Think ahead. How will people use Home Automation in ten years? Finally the open source community can get veeery exhausting. People ask why the hell they would have to use a Rev Pi and not the Pi which is cheaper and they will discuss the board layout of the Rev Pi and propose different Hardware and so on. These guys are sure they could solder something cheaper and better themselves but they just don't have the time to do it right now. :) I believe a good concept that addresses the points above might increase the chance of creating a hit project. And if you find a good USP and market perspective, maybe crowdfunding helps getting the resources.

I guess you already knew most of the points. I hope at least some of it is helpful though. :)

Tanti saluti a Hamburgo,
Boris
Kind regards / Herzliche Grüße / Cordiali saluti
Boris Crismancich
james061

Post by james061 »

Boris Crismancich wrote:Hi Luigi,

your Solution sounds very interesting. I don't have the resources to join or back the project, but maybe I can help with a couple of insights I gained while working for large software companies.

The number of home automation solutions is increasing every day. That's why I believe it is crucial to have a unique selling proposition (even if it's open source). Why would people prefer Genyhome over other solutions? Do you have a specific target audience? Is it for private use or for companies? Does it have special features that fit their needs? (Design Thinking / User Centered Design) I believe that security is a strong point for open source solutions. The most important one would of course be usability. The solution should be self explaining and bringing the stuf to work should be possible with a few steps. Cool solutions like Jira suffer from the fact that they were not designed for mobile devices. Atlassian created a mobile version but still it lacks the functionality of the big web version. This is why I would prefer the mobile attempt. Build a web interface that works on mobile AND large screens. I guess no one would like to find the smart phone, unlock it, open the app, chose the function to turn on a light or something. Don't create things that are nice to play with but in the end not useful. Sounds trivial, but sometimes is a huge point. Internationalization: I often see german, italian and french applications with language specific variables or field names. When starting a software, always use english and use some translation feature from the beginning. Everywhere. Especially when the community should code in it. Here's a cool video on all the stuff that can drive you mad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j74jcxSunY. The third thing is interoperability. Many people might want to use their IFTTT, Alexa, whatever with the solution. Think ahead. How will people use Home Automation in ten years? Finally the open source community can get veeery exhausting. People ask why the hell they would have to use a Rev Pi and not the Pi which is cheaper and they will discuss the board layout of the Rev Pi and propose different Hardware and so on. These guys are sure they could solder something cheaper and better themselves but they just don't have the time to do it right now. :) I believe a good concept that addresses the points above might increase the chance of creating a hit project. And if you find a good USP and market perspective, maybe crowdfunding helps getting the resources.

I guess you already knew most of the points. I hope at least some of it is helpful though. :)

Tanti saluti a Hamburgo,
Boris
Hello Boris,
Thanks for posting this. I have a same problem like Luigi.
You video is very helpful for me. Step by step very clear easy to follow instructions.
luigi.candita

Post by luigi.candita »

Hi at all

A little update: I'm migrating the application to a new technology. I decided to use a more lightweight framework based on Java, Vert.X. This technology is perfect for home automation, because it is based on asynchronous events and reactive patterns.

As soon as I reach a good point, I put all on Github.

This is the task list:
1) Module to manage communication with modbus over tcp (the good point on github)
2) Persistence module (redis)
3) Web module
  3A) Web interface
  3B) REST Api for Angular frontend

I hope to find support from the community!

Saluti

Luigi