RevPi Connect+ and Remotely Accessible VPN

Show the world your Revolution Pi project!
WebDevRobert
Answers: 0

RevPi Connect+ and Remotely Accessible VPN

Post by WebDevRobert »

I believe RevPi Connect+ has the ability to solve a real problem in IT/OT networks. I've read the documentation and it seems everything is there to bridge gaps between IT and OT. The promotional material calls this out as follows:
Two Ethernet sockets enable the device to be simultaneously connected to the automation network and IT network...
In the above quote, the "automation network" would be the source of the OT (operational technology) and the business LAN would be source of the IT (information technology). I understand how all the add-on modules are able to bridge the gap between IT and OT; making almost anything part of the IIoT.

I'm at home with Linux and the Debian command line.

I understand there is the ability to remotely access the automation network via VPN, using the RevPi Connect+ by simply establishing a VPN connection tunneling from the IT to the OT networks.

GREAT!

What I'm not seeing here is how to Remotely Access the automation network, using the RevPi Connect+ from outside the IT/OT networks.

Use Case:

516k Square Foot manufacturing facility has many small manufacturing cells; each with their own, isolated, automation network and each with an available connection to the IT network. RevPi Connect+ and many other options make it easy to connect from the IT (LAN) to the OT (automation network). OEMs and Plant Engineers need to connect directly to one of the isolated automation networks, from a remote location. How can the RevPi Connect+ facilitate this without putting a physical workstation on each isolated automation network?

mbConnect, IXON, eWON and others make devices which do exactly this; provide remote access, directly to the automation network, from anywhere in the world.
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Re: RevPi Connect+ and Remotely Accessible VPN

Post by dirk »

Hi WebDevRobert, you may use VNC or TeamViewer for VPN solutions. Sure you also could create your own solution i.e. by using OpenVPN with a dynamic dns provider.