RevPi connect + communicate with RevPi DIO

Show the world your Revolution Pi project!
Gontorn
Answers: 0

RevPi connect + communicate with RevPi DIO

Post by Gontorn »

Hello,

I am new user on the RevPI Forum and I hope I am writing in the right topic.
I am currently a student working on his thesis with both Revolution Pi connect+ and a RevPi DIO module. I am having some difficulties to connect both modules together. Indeed, on the PiCtory website, only the Revolution Pi connect+ is detected (which is normal), but it is impossible to detect the RevPi DIO. I linked both device with the PiBridge Plug * and by connecting X4 plug 8 pole of the RevPi connect+ with the X4 plug of the RevPi DIO module. If you prefer, I could show an image to have a better overview. I also do not understand how to make both device communicate.
I am sorry if a similar problem has already been answers, I could not find any answers on the internet or could not really understand it.
Thanks in advance !
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Re: RevPi connect + communicate with RevPi DIO

Post by dirk »

Hi Gontorn, have a look at our "Quick Start Guide".
Did you make your PiCtory configuration? What is the output of "piTest -d" ? Do the power LEDs of the DIO indicate?
Also have a look at the tutorials
How to Connect the Power Supply
Status LEDs DIO/DI/DO
Gontorn

Post by Gontorn »

Hi dirk,

Thanks for your reply! I found a solution which I don't know if it is normal:
When the "PiBridge Plug *" was connected to the right side of the connect+ module, the light of the DIO module would blink red (which is for setting up the connection) indefinitely (I waited for 40 minutes). The solution was to move the DIO to the left side of the connect+ module and then after several minutes the LEDs light for the power became "on,green". However the OUT LED and IN LED are "on,red" which I don't really understand why as the power supply is set to 24V. When I executed "piTest -d", the DIO module showed the "following Module is present, but NOT CONFIGURED" which was solved by adding the it with PiCtory and "Save-as Start Config".

I was wondering if you could help me for another problem. In fact, I am trying to connect a LED (show in the picture) to the ouput (O_2) of the DIO module to control when it should switch on and off. I am trying to do it without using a python code by using the command "piTest -w O_2,1" to switch the LED on and "piTest -w O_2,0" but it is not working. The command "piTest -r O_2" is also used to check if the change has been saved. Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks in advance !
Attachments
revolutionPi_LED.jpg
revolutionPi_LED.jpg (225.56 KiB) Viewed 6408 times
dirk
KUNBUS

Post by dirk »

Hi Gontorn, okay there are some suspicious things here.
You should physically not be able to connect PiBridge devices to the right side of the RevPi Connect.
Ok if you use really much pressure it is possible to but this should wake you up to say yourself - "Stop... seems to be that I'm wrong here... "
The right side of the RevPi Connect is called ConBridge and has different pinnings and signals.
Have a look here - How to Connect RevPi Connect Modules.
We cannot guarantee that here occured physical damages to your devices.

Then you moved the DIO module to the left and made the PiCtory configuration - Good.

Ok you used the right code to switch the pin on and off and you are just before switching the light.

On the picture I can see that you have connected the X2 plug without the GND signal.
Have a look here - How to Connect the Power Supply.
This is the last thing to do then it should work.

Uff... hopefully you did not accidentially a *smoke test* ;-)
Gontorn

Post by Gontorn »

Hi dirk,

Thanks for you quick reply once again !
I think that everything is fine and I did not perform a "smoke test" :D

I followed your link for the X2 plug, and I did plug the GROUND to the output one of the DIO but it is not working. I attached to other images so you can see. I also noticed that, if I connect the GROUND directly to the power supply, then the LED light is on but I cannot control the switch with the outputs of the DIO module using PiTest commands. Do you see what I am doing wrong?
Attachments
forForumKunbus2.jpg
forForumKunbus2.jpg (261.2 KiB) Viewed 6381 times
forForumKunbus1.jpg
forForumKunbus1.jpg (258.3 KiB) Viewed 6381 times
dirk
KUNBUS

Post by dirk »

Hi pleas to check the wiring again. I think you have mixed up your X2 DIO output power with the LED.
- connect the X2 with 24V
- connect the LED with GND and O1
Gontorn

Post by Gontorn »

Hello dirk,
I don't really understand. I think the O_1 (the red wire with a little black line) and the X2 Ground (the black wire) is connected to the LED and the X2 with the 24V (red wire connected to the X2) is connected to the power supply. Or am I mixing up things here?
dirk
KUNBUS

Post by dirk »

Hi yes this IS the problem ;-)
Gontorn

Post by Gontorn »

I am really sorry but I don't see what is wrong here. Could you explain what I am doing wrong?
dirk
KUNBUS

Post by dirk »

Hi Gontron, no problem.
Step 1 - The LEDs Power and DO must indicate status Ok with green light.
-> Conect X2 plug with 24V and GND
-> verify the LED indicate "green"
if it doesnt work
- check your wiring aganin
- run "piTest -x" to restart the picontrol driver
- check the pictory configuarion

Step 2 - Change the wiring of your device you want to switch, your 24V LED
-> connect the LED with GND and your O1 pin of the DIO With the Led +
-> switch the O1 pin i.e. by "piTest -w O_1,1"
if it doesnt work
- check using a voltage measuring device
- check if the pictory "O_1" variable name exists