Remote USB connectivity

Show the world your Revolution Pi project!
DriesDDB
Answers: 0

Remote USB connectivity

Post by DriesDDB »

Greetings from Belgium
I just discovered your devices and I am very interested to check if the RevPi Core 3 is able to meet the our requirements in making an IoT project.

First and foremost, we want to make a basic setup, by making our devices in the field remote accessible for our helpdesk.
Our setup would be as follows:
Our Device <-> USB cable <---> RevPi Core 3 <-> Cloud <-> Our Helpdesk <-> Local Config program (which uses this USB port on the RevPi)

I suspect this is possible? Can you help us on how to build and configure this setup step by step?
To date, we have little or no experience with this.

Thanks in advance,
Dries
volker
Answers: 1

Re: Remote USB connectivity

Post by volker »

Hi,
this should be possible as there are USB over Ethernet channeling drivers out there which run on Linux / Debian. But you would need to test this. Why not buying a raspberry pi for a few bugs and try it? If it works you could switch over to a RevPi. Please note with your configuration you would need to solve the problem of getting a linux device offering a service connectable from the outside world to an intranet. Most routers will block this for very good reasons. You will need to find a very secure way to overcome this (e.g. VPN) and this will most of the time involve some kind of external provider to offer the connection service 8even if it is sometimes free you do rely on this provider).
Unser RevPi Motto: Don't just claim it - make it!
jamie398
Answers: 0

Re: Remote USB connectivity

Post by jamie398 »

Have you had a look at VirtualHere https://www.virtualhere.com/home